23 | Forbidden

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

~ The more you hide your feelings for someone, the more you fall for them ~

~~~~~

Nitara

Days went by in the palace, spending time with the prince and getting to know the other girls. I just hoped that after all this time making friends, no one I'd gotten to know would be sent home.

We had an afternoon tea in the day room earlier before everyone went off to do various activities around the palace. I sat finishing my tea while I watched the other girls file out of the room.

It was only Scarlett and I left in the room, sitting at our little round table.

"I'm quite liking our time at the palace. It's rather luxurious." Scarlett says with a content sigh.

"It is. I'm afraid I'm getting a little too used to it."

"I know. The staff waiting on us hand and foot. By the time I get home I will have forgotten how to do things for myself." She says.

I laugh, "I hope it doesn't get to that."

A few staff come in to clear trays, wheeling in trolleys to collect the dirty dishes and clean the tables.

I listen to the noise of the carts rolling back and forth, the ceramic clinking as cups and bowls are stacked. Scarlett doesn't say anything more, but takes a long sip of her tea to finish it off.

One of the kitchen staff wheels a trolley over and silently clears our table.

Scarlett helps him up by gathering her items and placing them down for him on the cart.

"Are you finished miss?"

I look up. It's Owen.

I didn't even recognise that it was him before, not even considering I might see him here. I thought he only worked in the kitchens, but I suppose it wasn't my place to make assumptions.

I wasn't sure if the cook would remember me, or if the moment we shared previously would be as memorable to him as it was to me.

For a moment I don't register his words, just seeing him having me flustered.

"Are you finished with your plate?" He repeats, gesturing to the dish in front of me that holds a half eaten sandwich. I had forgot it was even there.

I also forgot that I couldn't be caught interacting with the man in a way that would make me seem disloyal to the prince.

And Scarlett was right next to me.

"Uh, yes of course. Thank you."

Owen gathers the plates, meeting my eye every so often as he does so. As he reaches across the table to clear unused cutlery I see his bandaged hand, which reminds me of his injury. I hoped he was getting better.

As he stacked up some of the plates, a few of the spoons fell down and clattered on the floor. Immediately I got up from my chair, picking up the cutlery to help him and as I glanced up I saw him give a grateful smile.

I put them back for him, both our backs to Scarlett as we faced the cart.

Faster than I could blink, Owen passed me a folded piece of paper, distracting by thanking me for the assistance.

I slipped the note into my sleeve, giving a quick, "No problem."

Sitting back down in my seat I felt Scarlett's eyes on me, but couldn't meet her gaze. Owen gave both Scarlett and I an acknowledging nod before wheeling the trolley off out of the room.