11 | The Garden Party - Part II

CHAPTER ELEVEN

- Just because you're angry doesn't mean you have the right to be cruel -

Avery

My brother was nothing like me.

He clearly was more considerate, because I know that if I was in a room with 20 good looking men who wanted to date me that I wouldn't stick around at a party long. I'd be grabbing one (or a few if I was feeling adventurous) to go and make out with for a while. Get to know them in a different sort of way. My reasoning; why the hell not.

Nicolas was much more reserved and polite, wanting to get to know them each properly and whatever. Which was admirable, but it wasn't as exciting.

This garden party was interesting, as all the girls were gossiping and cameras were watching everyone.

I saw several of the girls get pulled aside for brief interviews on the selection, and they even tried to drag Lilliana into one but she declined as I knew she would. My sister wasn't a big fan of the press and neither was I.

My parents were going around trying to speak to some of the girls, but most of the selected simply seemed terrified to converse with them.

"Princess Avery."

I turn at the voice and see one of the girls, who's curtsying in greeting. It was a girl I hadn't been introduced to, with long dark hair and a confident smile. She almost had as good of a fashion sense as me. Almost.

"Hey." I say, hoping to be welcoming but still ready to sus her out.

She stands in front of me boldly, brushing her straight hair back over her shoulder, "My name is Eliza. It's lovely to properly meet you."

"Right. And where are you from Eliza?" I ask.

"Fiji."

No wonder she looked so sun kissed.

"Ah, very nice." I say, thinking about my travels overseas. I hadn't been to Fiji.

Eliza smiles, "Can I just say, your dress is stunning."

I smile too, pleased, "Why thank you."

If someone complimented my outfit it always made my day, because it was hard work having such a good sense of style. A lot of people just didn't get it.

"Come stand beside me, so we can people watch." I offer and Eliza grins, turning to move to my side. She starts leaning as I am, back against the table that's lined with food.

"I'm glad to know you're a people watcher too." The brunette whispers to me.

I laugh, "I'm more a gossip if I'm being honest. But anyways, I'm keen to know your thoughts on my brother. Sandwich?"

I gesture to the food table behind us and Eliza takes some, passing me a chicken sandwich which I thank her for.

"Well, princess, I think your brother is quite the gentlemen." She says, which is a generic answer to please me I can tell.

"As he should be." I say, then look back out to the party of selected ladies, "How well do you know the other girls up to this point?"

"I know some. Not all that well." She says.

"Who would you say is Nick closest to?" I ask as I take a bite of my sandwich.

She thinks for a moment, "Well I think the girls hes been on dates with so far are doing well. Tamara. Kalisa. Samantha. Jessica. But he also pulled Mary aside so maybe there's something there."