3 | Conversations

CHAPTER THREE

- Sometimes the greatest adventure is simply a conversation - 

~~~~~

Nicolas

The next girl comes in, so busy looking at her shoes so she doesn't fall, that at first she doesn't notice my presence.

"Are you alright Miss?"

The girl glances up, her eyes widening a fraction as she meets mine. I quite liked the colour of her eyes, as they were a mix of green and blue.

She however made a move to step forward, but now that she wasn't focusing on her feet she stumbled forward.

Loosing her balance the girl went flying into the carpet, much too far away for me to save her.

Landing down with a groan, the girl mumbles something like, "Ah crap."

I move quickly to her side to make sure she isn't injured.

The girl however rolls over, so she's lying on her back and breaks out into a fit of laughter.

I'm astounded, not knowing how to react as she sits up and her mess of black hair flies forward. She's laughing as if it's the funniest thing on earth.

"Are you sure you are alright Miss?" I say, extending my hand out to help her up, which she doesn't use as she stands.

I straighten up myself and see she's still on the verge of laughing loudly.

"Quite fine. I just can't believe I fell on my face in front of a prince. God I'm embarrassing." She says, giggling.

"It's alright. Would you like to take a seat?"

"Alright. Give me your arm." The girl says, not giving me an option as she latches onto my bicep without any worry. I help her over to the couch, noticing how wobbly she is in those tall heels of hers.

"I'm sorry miss, I didn't get your name." I say.

I can't remember her name now because all the girls names are getting mixed in my head. I think if I asked it would be less awkward than if I called her by the wrong name.

"Oh! Right. Scarlett Brown, at your service sir." She says and does a curtsey as she goes to sit down. I'd didn't know if she did that mockingly or not, but she gave me a smile nonetheless.

"Lovely to meet you Miss Brown."

Scarlett snorts with a laugh as I call her Miss Brown, her behaviour having me truely perplexed.

She appears to be thinking hard about something and then blurts out a question, "Are we allowed to wear sneakers in the palace?"

"They are usually only worn if you are participating in some sort of sport. However, not all shoes have to have such a high heel that you are currently wearing."

"Right right. I just thought these ones matched my outfit the best." Scarlett says with a laugh and kicks out her feet to show off her heels.

There is a pause and I scramble for something else to say to fill the silence.

"So, what country are you from?"

She smiles, "Canada actually. I didn't really even think I'd ever even visit London in my lifetime."

"And how have you found the experience coming here?" I ask.

"Well the travel was luxury. The palace is extravagant. The other girls...I mean, at least some of them are nice."