39 | Just Dreaming

CHAPTER THIRTY NINE

~ You know you really love someone when you don't hate them for breaking your heart ~

~~~~~

Samantha

Mum passes me a mug with some tea before she rests her arms on the counter.

"You really like him don't you?"

Her comment has me realising I'd been staring at Nicolas for a while. He was in the lounge with my dad, facing an interrogation. I couldn't hear what they were saying from here in the kitchen, but I could see him explaining something while my dad was pacing.

I didn't know what my dad was thinking, but he was clearly fuming earlier when the prince first arrived. He was usually a pretty calm guy, but apparently not when someone decides to upset me.

I look to my mum, nodding, "I do."

"But what now Sam. He hurt you and now you've forgiven him. Does this mean you don't care about what he did?"

I look to her pointedly, "Of course I care. I'm upset with him. But that doesn't change the fact that I'm in love with him."

If I feel hurt, I don't usually brush it aside. But in this scenario, I just want to forgive the prince and go back to what we had together.

I can imagine how it looked to him and why he assumed what he did. And I had snuck away from the ball they were throwing to talk to Kai, which didn't help. Bad timing on my part.

But something in me desired his trust, the way I trusted him. Because if I was angry every time he kissed another girl, I think I'd have a permanent scowl by now after all the selected girls he's been on dates with.

My mum looked sympathetic, "And you're sure?"

I slowly nod my head, "Before all this drama, he's always treated me right. He did things for me and went out of his way to help me. He takes his time and hasn't given up even though I've broken down several times in front of him."

"And he wants to chose you? Even after he sent you home?"

I nod, taking a peak at him still talking with my dad in the other room, "Yeah."

"Is that what you want?" Mum asks.

I met her eye, seeing her give me that serious look, like my answer was important.

"It's what I want."

"I just don't want you to get hurt again sweetie. A lot of innocent people fall into the trap of forgiveness when they're being manipulated." Mum says protectively, sipping her own cup of tea.

"He's not the toxic monster you think, it was just miscommunication."

"I'd hope so. I want to trust your judgement, and I know that no relationship is ever perfect. But you just need to make sure you're willing to deal problems that arise. Together."

I nod as I think about it, "I think I am. I mean, I'm certainly not perfect either."

"No one is. You're still young Sam. You have so much of life ahead of you. And just because Nicolas is a prince doesn't mean you have to do what he wants." Mum says, clearly keen on making sure I think before I act.

"I'm not-" I start to say but she cuts me off.

"Just let me finish. While I know he is a prince, I've also seen him as a person. On tv and here with us now. He seems like a good man. And I've seen you with him, all across the internet. You look so happy and comfortable with him. And even though he made a mistake, which I still don't fully understand, that's ok, because everyone makes mistakes at some point."