Chapter 1

taehyun pov

°。°。°。°。°。°。°。゜。°。°。°。 。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°

Ding! I jumped up from the couch and ran to the computer. I took a deep breath before opening up my email. I had one new notification, and hopefully it was the one I had been anticipating for weeks.

"Taehyun, is it the email?" My mom asked excitedly. She walked over to the computer next to me.

"I don't know. I haven't opened it yet."

"Well go on, what are you waiting for?"

I clicked on the email which opened up to a short paragraph.

Kang Taehyun, age 18. You have been selected for testing at this time. This test will determine whether you become a leader or remain a citizen. Please find yourself at the Society Capitol, Monday at 2 pm sharp.

I looked over at mom who finished reading.

"Well, I guess it's finally happening." she said, reading the email one more time.

"Yeah." I had turned 18 a few weeks ago which meant I was eligible for testing. If I passed the test I could become a leader, which would unlock my powers and I would be in charge of something. Your position is determined by your strengths. If you became a leader you could be a soldier, a government official, or something like a teacher or business owner. What made you different from citizens is that you would keep order and control. You would help to run the society. Not to mention you would unlock a certain part of your brain that gave you access to your powers. These would help to protect society and the citizens from the outsiders.

"Monday is in two days, are you ready for it?" Mom asked.

"Yes." I nodded. I was nervous but ready.

"You're smart, I know you'll do well. Even if you don't become a leader." Mom said. She had a sad smile on her face though, and I knew why. leaders weren't allowed to have families. My dad became a leader shortly after I was born. I never met him, but according to mom he was a soldier.

I heard a ring from the door signaling that our food was here. Meals were also taken care of by leaders. I brought in the small bag of food from the doorstep, containing mom and I's dinner.

We ate while chatting about our days and laughing about how bad the dinner tonight was. It didn't taste great but it had nutrients that certain leader's powers could inject into things for maximum effectiveness. This made everyone healthy, even though it tasted like shit.

"This one is particularly bad, jeez what is this stuff?" Mom said, pretending to gag.

"Haha I know right." We finished the whole thing anyway. If you didn't you might get in trouble.

That night I had five minutes before the leaders put everyone to sleep. I thought about the testing that was coming up. No one really knows what happens unless you've taken the test. The people who took the test aren't allowed to talk about it, at all. But of course there are rumors. They call it 'the box'. Apparently you wake up in a box with 6 other people and if you find a way out you pass. One of the scarier rumors was that some of the people who took the test went missing, but of course these are all just rumors. I don't know what the test is like at all, but I'm ready. I want to become a leader, hopefully I am smart enough. It shouldn't be that hard, right?