Chapter 24

Taehyun pov

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*(*❦ω❦)*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

''His mother..." My eyes widened. The pieces were starting to come together. Something must have happened to make them banish his mother somewhere, and during the testing they discovered Beomgyu's powers and banished him somewhere. That must've been what they meant by 'taken care of'. I felt sick to my stomach.

''Mr. Choi, I'm going to find your son, and things are gonna change around here.''

''Please... bring him back.'' Choi Sunhae begged.

''I will.''

''The world we live in, the society, is broken. Everyone knows it, I'm just glad you are finally doing something about it.'' the man smiled.

A few minutes later I hopped out of the window and looked up at the others, who were looking expectantly.

''Where's Beomgyu?'' Soobin asked.

''He's not here,'' I couldn't hide the worry in my voice. If something happened to him...

''What do you mean he's not here? Did something happen in there?'' Yeonjun asked.

''I talked to his dad. The leaders brainwashed him into believing he never even had a son named Beomgyu. He told me that the elders took him right after the testing, and he also told me a lot more than that.''

''How are we gonna find him!?'' Kai cried. ''What if they did something to him?''

''What else did he tell you, Tae?'' Yeonjun asked.

''I grew up just like you guys did, believing the society was perfect. You have your life planned out, no worries because the leaders took care of everything, and maybe one day I could be a leader too. But the society is truly a dark place. The truth is we're all brainwashed into believing we have everything, when really we have nothing. No control, no individuality. We believe that if we could just become leaders, we could do those things. But you know what? They choose leaders based on who will just go with what the society wants, who fits in the 'box'. Why do you think they call it that?''

I blinked. It seemed all the things I had been questioning were true. Mr. Kim was right too.

''And all that about the outsiders, it's bullshit. In reality-''

''Dad, what's going on?'' we whipped our heads over to the little boy rubbing his eyes tiredly.

''Nothing, bud. Go back to bed.'' Mr. Choi said.

He looked back to me after the boy hesitantly went back into his room.

''Just- get out of here. Find Beomgyu, find the outsiders and save us all.''

''Woah,'' Soobin said, after I explained everything.

''Well, let's go then. Now or never.'' I said. We nodded at each other, before escaping back into the darkness of the streets.

The sun was rising as we ran through the next province. We had made it pretty far, but we knew we wouldn't be able to make it far enough in the daytime. The air trains were opening up for the early risers, if we could get onto one of those, we could get to the edge of the society walls much faster.

We ran through the greenspace towards the airtrain and waited for it to arrive.

''Hey! You five are coming with us.'' 4 leaders approached us with handcuffs ready.

''Run!'' I yelled. We ran across the air train landing and the elders chased after us.

''This is over now!'' A woman leader yelled. Just then the air train pulled up and we quickly hopped on. Yeonjun tripped and almost didn't make it on.

''Gotcha!'' Soobin gripped his arm as the air train sped away. We all helped lift him into the train before trying to catch our breaths.

''That was close. Now we know that the leaders know what we are doing,'' I nodded. Hopefully we could still get out before any others caught up to us. The air train sped away through the provinces as the four of us quietly conversed about what to do next. We went through 3 more provinces and I looked out the window. In the distance, a large brick wall towered over the provinces, and we were about to head right to it.