Chapter 20

taehyun pov

.。*゚+.*.。(❁'◡'❁)。.。:+*

''Taehyun... Taehyun.. How do you feel?'' I heard mom ask. Mom!

''Mom, I missed you...'' I said tiredly. ''What happened?'' I asked. I had no memory of anything that happened after I left school.

''You finished the testing! The email with your position comes tomorrow, you're finally part of the society! You might even be an leader...'' I smiled, it was what I wanted.

I sat up in my bed and rubbed my eyes. I was exhausted.

''God, why am I so tired?''

''Just side effects from the testing, you'll feel better in a day.'' She reassured me. I nodded and laid down again. I couldn't wait to start my life. Get my job position, find a nice girl, maybe even start a family.

''I'll be right back, the food just arrived,'' She said and went downstairs. I really hope it's not lasagna tonight. I smiled to myself, something felt familiar about it. I shrugged it off when mom came back to my room with my food tray.

''Guess what? It's broccoli and chicken night!'' She said sarcastically.

''Yum my favorite...'' I looked down at the food disappointedly. Sometimes I really wish we could cook for ourselves.

The rest of the night was spent resting, talking to mom, and dreaming about my life. I couldn't wait for the email tomorrow.

I woke up feeling much better than yesterday. I practically sprinted downstairs, eager to see the email. I opened up email and refreshed the page. No New Mail. I sat in front of the computer for 2 hours when I finally heard that ding. This was it. When I find out my job for the rest of my life. Now that I think about it though, my whole life. That's a long time. What if I want to do something else? What if I hate my job and want to choose my own? I think back to when I was little. I wanted to be an artist. I would secretly draw on napkins or on my school papers. Being an artist wasn't an option though. If you became a leader you could use your powers to make art, if that was your power of course. The more I think through things the more nervous I get. My whole life I have been letting the leaders do everything. There is no freedom, and it leaves me wondering what life is like outside of the society. They say that the outsiders are crazy and dangerous. That's why everything is controlled, but nothing has even happened. The soldiers are probably stopping the outsiders from doing anything, but if they just use powers like the leaders, why are they so dangerous?

I'm suddenly snapped out of my deep thoughts when mom walks over.

''Are you ready to see your job?'' She asks excitedly. I nod slowly. I move the cursor over the email and hesitate. This determines the rest of my life...

I click on and watch it open up.

Kang Taehyun, you have been selected for the position of secretary at school 3 in your province. Please arrive at the school at 8 am sharp tomorrow and begin your job. Congratulations on the rest of your life.

That was it. All it said. I felt a tinge of disappointment. I wasn't even a teacher, a leader. I was a secretary. How bad did I do on the test to get a job like this? What even happened during the tests? I couldn't remember anything. I realize I can never unlock my powers, have any freedom or know anything that happens in the society. I get so frustrated I abruptly stand up and run out of the house. I hear mom call after me but I don't care. I need to leave for a while. I run through the city making my way to the air trains. I'm about to get on to go anywhere when I run into a boy about my age. I step back and as I'm about to apologize I look up at the boy and freeze.

I remember everything.