Chapter 23

┍————- /ᐠ。ꞈ。ᐟ\ ————┑

  |         Taehyun pov       |

┕————(..)(..) ∫∫————-┙

Walking to the next province took longer than we thought. Riding the air train would have been a much better option but unfortunately we are escaping and breaking rules so... yeah. Walking through the streets was stressful too, now that we know that leaders are out at night we had to be extra careful to avoid them.

As we walked to Soobin's province we talked about the outsiders. What might they be like? We knew we were going to try to get rid of the society, but if we left the city walls, what was out there? I guess we would find out.

''Okay, here's the province sign. His street is just a little farther I think.'' Yeonjun said, breaking my train of thoughts. I had been to this province on a class trip once. Mom grew up here actually, but moved when she got her job position.

''...19...20! There it is!'' Kai said excitedly. We walked down to Soobin's street, it looked almost exactly like every other neighborhood in every province, the only difference from ours was that everyone had a little tree in their yard. We just got rocks.

''It's kinda pretty here, I wish we had trees.'' Yeonjun said.

''Just wait, maybe we can have trees everywhere in the future,'' I smiled. ''How are we gonna know which house is Soobin's by the way?'' I asked. There were about 10 houses on the street.

''Oh, yeah I kinda forgot about that part,'' Yeonjun rubbed the back of his neck smiling sheepishly.

I sighed, ''Alright, we'll just try to look through the windows,'' We were about to start looking at houses when we heard someone say softly, ''hello?'' We whipped our heads around terrified. A figure was standing in the dark near one of the houses.

''Soobin?'' Yeonjun said and started going towards the figure before I could stop him.

''W-who are you people?'' I walked closer and was surprised to actually see Soobin. Why was he out here?

"Soobin, we were in the test together, remember?'' He blinked a couple of times before that familiar glaze was lifted from his eyes. The sun had started to come up meaning that we had to find Beomgyu soon and start our plan before work and everything started.

''Guys- Oh my gosh! I'm so glad to see you all!'' He pulled us all into a hug before pulling away and looking at Yeonjun.

''Hi Bin,'' Yeonjun smiled shyly. They were obviously glad to see each other again.

Yeonjun and Kai gave Soobin the rundown of everything, which he was quick to agree with. I explained other reasons for going against the society. One of them I kept for myself. Being able to love who you wanted. They let you marry who you wanted, as long as they were the opposite gender who you could reproduce with. At first I was fine with it, but not anymore, now that I've met Beomgyu.

''Alright I'm in, it's time for change,'' Soobin said, ''Are we gonna find Beomgyu now?''

''Yup, we have to go pretty quick now, the sun is starting to rise,'' I said. I was also really eager to see him again. It had only been 2 days but I missed him a lot.

''Also, why were you outside Soobin?'' I asked.

''Oh, I'm not sure actually. Something in my gut just told me to wake up and go outside.'' He shrugged. Weird, but ok.

''Okay, where to?" Yeonjun asked.

''Wait- does anyone actually know where Beomgyu lives?'' Kai asked. Soobin and Yeonjun agreed.

"I don't remember him actually saying anything,'' Soobin said.

''I know where he is,'' I said. Beomgyu had mentioned it in one of our late night conversations. Thankfully he actually lived in the same province as Soobin, at the end of the province actually.

"He lives on 36th street, the last house,''

About 20 minutes later we turned a corner and there was 36th street. There was a dimly lit lamppost at the end of the street, where a small gray house, exactly like the others sat. My heart was racing though, I couldn't wait to see Beomgyu again.

''Yay, I can't wait to see Beomie again!'' Heuningkai said.

''Shhhh!''

''Sorry,'' He rubbed his neck sheepishly and I just smiled. I felt the same way as Kai, but I held back, for the sake of not getting caught by a leader.

I walked up to the house and walked to the side of the house to the window.

''I'll give you a boost.'' Yeonjun said. He laced his hands together and hoisted me up to the window. I slowly slid it open and shoved myself inside. I stumbled a bit into an empty room. Empty? Rooms are almost never empty here...

I looked out the window at the others who hadn't come in yet.

''We'll let you handle this one alone Tae.'' Yeonjun smirked.

''Go get Beommie!'' Kai cheered softly. I smiled and walked through the house. I opened the first door in the hall quietly and peeked in. In the room was a large figure sleeping, probably Beomgyu's dad. I walked away as I closed the door, which slammed a little louder than I planned. I held my breath, hoping he wouldn't wake up.

A few steps away was the last door. I opened it hoping to see Beomgyu, but all I saw was a little boy sleeping peacefully. If that was the last room, then where is Beomgyu? Shit, did he already move somewhere else? Just then I heard a door open and footsteps come closer to me.

''Who are you? What are you doing in my house?'' Beomgyu's dad asked.

I panicked and didn't know what to say. He walked closer to me and asked me again what I was doing there.

''I- I um... I'm a... Leader! I'm here for your son, Beomgyu. Where is he?'' I lied, although some of it was technically true. Now that I had the mind control that leaders possessed he would have to tell me the truth. Then I would know where Beomgyu is.

''What are you talking about? I don't have a son named Beomgyu.'' The man said. Wait, what?

''You are Choi Sunhae right?''

''Yes, that's me.''

This didn't make any sense. How could he not remember? Was Beomgyu...not even real?

I looked up at the man and searched his eyes. The glaze was there, he must've been brainwashed by the leaders.

''You do have a son named Beomgyu, remember.'' I said, activating my power. The glaze was lifted and the man had a look of realization before falling to the floor in pain.

''They took him... just like they took her. I couldn't stop them...'' He cried.

''Who's her?'' I asked.

''His mother...''