Chapter 22

taehyun pov

៚ ⋯⋯⋯ ˁᱸᲲᱸˀ ⋯⋯⋯⋯ ༄

Kai and I decided to meet up at the park the next day, to find the others. Kai remembered Yeonjun and Soobin talking about where they lived during the testing so if we left early enough we might be able to find them. I went to my job so I would raise suspicion, I didn't want any leaders suspecting us. I walked into the school building, memories from just 2 weeks ago filling my head. I walked past my old classroom and saw Mr. Kim teaching a new class. They were a class of five year old kids that had just started school. My smile fell as I realized that those kids might grow up to never be able to make their own choices or express themselves. Even more reason to hate the society.

I walked into the office where a leader directed me to my seat and showed me my job. I would have to sit here and answer phone calls all day. Great, can't wait to get out of here. If Kai and I find the others and do what we planned, I'll never have to do this again.

The day soon ended after long hours of answering annoying phone calls from angry parents. I went home and went straight to bed without even bothering to eat the nasty food that mom brought in. Once in my room I grabbed a bag and filled it with a few supplies. My blanket, a flashlight, bottled water, and nutrition pills. This should be enough, I thought. I went to sleep with jitters. I had an alarm set for 3 am, when Kai and I would meet up. I waited for the leader's mind control to put me to sleep, but it never did. It always did at the same time every night, why wasn't it happening today?

I wasn't even surprised when my alarm went off. I hadn't slept at all. The leaders always used their powers to put everyone asleep at the same time, but last night it didn't work. I grabbed my bag and snuck downstairs. I opened my mom's room and whispered goodbye, not like she would hear me though. I opened the door and looked out into the night. I had never left the house at night before. It was dead silent and only a street lamp lit the darkness. I stepped outside and looked back into my house one last time. It looked exactly like everyone else's house in this province, but I would still miss it. I shut the door and took off to the park.

As I got there I noticed Kai sitting in the grass with his eyes closed.

"Kai,'' I whispered. His eyes slowly opened.

''I'm ready, I was just resting my eyes,'' I chuckled. It was early, both of us were tired.

''Let's go then,''

We walked through the empty city staying out of view of cameras and eventually made it to where Yeonjun said he lived. It was a small neighborhood just outside of the city center, apparently Yeonjun lived in the last house on the street. We were about to walk up when I heard talking.

''Yup everything looks good, this street is empty...on my way to street 3'' I pulled Kai behind one of the houses, we were on street 3.

''What are you doing?'' He whispered.

''You didn't hear that leader? They are checking the streets,''

''What leader? I didn't hear anything,'' Just then a leader in a black suit walked along the street, making sure everyone was sleeping in their houses, just like they were supposed to. How come Kai didn't hear him? A shocking realization hit me, he must've been using telepathy. Does this mean I have powers? Is that why I remembered, is that why I didn't sleep tonight?

Kai looked at me worriedly after the leader moved on to the next street.

''Taehyun, how did you hear him?''

''I think I have powers...'' I said still shocked, ''I'm not entirely sure what they are yet though,''

''Woah, how did this happen?'' I shrugged,

''I'll figure it out later, we need to find a way to get Yeonjun.'' He nodded before looking up at Yeonjun's house. It was a one story building so we could sneak through a window, if we knew which one was Yeonjun's of course.

''Which window is his?" I wondered.

''I'll look inside, see if I can see anything,'' Kai said as he started walking around the house. I nodded and looked in one of the windows. I could barely make out two people sleeping in a bed, must be his parents.

I heard Kai gasp and I walked over, ''Is this his room?''

''No, but look, he has a little sister,'' In the room was a little girl sleeping with a nightlight on, cuddled up next to Yeonjun. Kai cooed at the adorable sight and I secretly wished I had siblings.

''Let's try to get him out of the room before we try talking to him, I don't want to wake up the little one,'' Kai said.

''Yeah, that's good, we can't have anyone knowing what we're doing." I moved in front of Kai and grabbed onto the window. I slid it open and carefully as I could so I wouldn't disturb them. With a push from Kai I propped myself up through the window and landed in the room with a thud. I held my breath hoping no one heard. I saw Yeonjun shuffle a bit in his sleep but thankfully didn't wake up.

''Help me up,'' Kai whispered. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I pulled him up and we quietly walked up to the bed. I grabbed Yeonjun's hands and pulled him up, somehow he hadn't woken up yet. Kai hoisted him up and we dragged him into what we presumed was his room, all while he snored softly. Wow, he can sleep through anything, I thought. We sat him down on his neatly made bed and Kai prepared himself for shushing. I shook Yeonjun until I saw his eyes flutter open. He opened his mouth to scream as he tried to get away. Kai put his hand over his mouth immediately shushing him as he struggled in our grasp.

''Yeonjun look at me,'' he had the same glaze over his eyes as Kai did, the leaders must be brainwashing them, ''Yeonjun, c'mon remember, we were in the testing together. The leaders brainwashed you,'' He continued struggling a bit before he met my eyes, ''remember, Yeonjun...'' I saw the glaze lift and stopped struggling. Kai removed his hand that was now covered in Yeonjun's spit.

''Oh my god! Taehyun! Kai!'' he started to shout excitedly.

''Sssshhhhh!''

''Right sorry,'' He pulled us into a hug before asking, ''How did we get our memories back? They said we werent supposed to remember anything,''

''I think it's my power-''

''You have powers!''

''Ssssshhhhh!''

''Sorry,''

''Yes, I do. I think my power is other peoples powers not working on me. And maybe making it so that other people can't be controlled by powers, mind control specifically.'' I explained.

''Wow, I can't believe people are unlocking powers, imagine how many other people might be hiding theirs...'' Yeonjun said.

''That's why we came to find you- well sort of. We realised how wrong things are in the society, people should be free. Who knows what else we could find out, first we need to get Soobin and Beomgyu and get out of this place. Then maybe we can start a revolution or something.'' Kai said.

''Yeah...yeah! I'm in, I want people to have choices, self expression, maybe not go missing for having opinions... I want that for Mihan- my sister.'' Yeonjun looked into the room across the hall. ''She deserves that.'' He smiled sadly.

''Then let's do it,'' I said. We nodded and Yeonjun started grabbing a few things.

''I know where Soobin is, he's in the next province- 20th street I think.'' yeonjun said as he slung his bag across his back.

''It's a bit far, it's good we left early.'' Kai said yawning, ''but I'm still sleepy,'' Yeonjun chuckled and ruffled his hair.

Kai and I slipped out of Yeonjun's window as he went to say goodbye to his sister. A few minutes later he hopped out onto the grass and shut his window.

''Ready to go?'' I asked. He looked back at his house before nodding.

''Let's go find Soobin,''