Prolouge

Age:8
John was hanging around with his friends during a break at the local primary schoolhouse in Birmingham

"Oi, mate who's she?" john asked as a young girl with long brown lightly curled hair with ribbons pulling it away from her face as she was flipping herself around on the still rings "Her? That's 'baby doll' bourbon, she's new here." 'Baby doll? What's her real name?" "Who knows mate. I hear she's one of the gypsy girls."

The young john Shelby admired the girls' bravery. after all, she was wearing a dress and didn't have a care in the world that when she flipped so did her dress.

"You know what they say about those bloody gypsies." Another boy piped in. "Leave her alone you wankers. You don't even know her name yet your so quick to judge? Pussys, The lot of you." John walked over to the lonely girl.

"You. What's your name?" "What's yours?" "I ask the questions around here 'baby doll'" "well then if your so high and mighty you should already know my name." "Your a cheeky little minx, I respect that. The name is john. John Shelby."

"Hello, john. I'm mercy. Mercy bourbon pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mr. Shelby." she stopped flipping and stretched her arm to john offering a handshake which he awkwardly accepted sending her a smirk. "The pleasures mine miss bourbon."

_________________________________________
Age:16

John stopped going to school but still hung around with some of his old mates. Ada and mercy became best Friends once john introduced the girl to his family and practically kicked the boy to the curb. They rarely interacted.

"I'm telling you, johnny boy, one day baby dolls gonna be Mrs.farewell!" By now Elijah was head over heels for mercy but as was john. He just never said it aloud. He couldn't give her what Elijah could and that made him overflow with jealousy.

Elijah was the descendent of a rich family. He could give mercy everything she ever wanted in life and then some. she could have boys eating out of the palm of her hand if she wanted, she was the purest and most beautiful girl in Birmingham. But after all Elijahs attempts to get her to notice him she showed him no mind.

She didn't like Elijah like that.
She was more fond of his mate, the 3rd oldest Shelby brother. Somedays when she ate dinner with the Shelby's she couldn't help but count all of John's freckles in her head or admire his gorgeous eyes that corresponded perfectly with his pale skin and dark hair. He was beautiful to her.

She rarely saw his face anymore though. He had just joined the peaky blinders so he was always working or causing havoc.

"Hello, girls!" Elijah said calling over ada and mercy "Hello john, Elijah." "Mercy." "So doll, when you gonna let me take you on that date?" "How about...never." "Ouch doll, that hurt. But you know I never take no as an answer." "Yes, I'm familiar with your lack of knowledge towards the word no. I've been saying it to you since we were 13 yet you continue to ask."
"I'm starting to think you don't like me miss bourbon." "Really? What gave it away?" Mercy asked sarcastically. That's my girl johnny thought while smirking at the brunette.
_________________________________________
Age:19

All the men have been called to war and sadly for the Shelby's that meant mercy would be going to as a nurse. She had a special place in all their hearts.

"Do you have to go mercy?" "Yeah doll, stay with us!" Fin and ada pleaded to the girl. "I'm sorry. I wish I could but it's my duty to the country. I'll only be gone a while and ill be back by Christmas, we all will." They all hugged Finn poly and ada goodbye before walking off to the platform.

"I'll see you lot there." Mercy said to the boys as she headed off to the other train for the women that volunteered as nurses. "Be careful doll," John said as he engulfed her in a hug. "You to john." She kissed the boy's cheek before doing the same to his brothers and walking off.

John felt as if his heart was breaking. He didn't want her to possibly sacrifice her life for the country. He admired her selflessness and promised to himself that before this was all over he would tell her how he truly felt.

_________________________________________
It had been months and mercy hadn't seen any of the Shelby boys, she didn't know whether to be worried or grateful that she hasn't had to treat them.

"Nurse!" She ran to the 2 boys that called for her, they were holding a limp body and had layed him on the bed. "You lot can go back now. He'll be fine." She cleaned the man off to reveal it was none other than Elijah farewell.

"Damn you you bastard, you gave me a fright!" she whispered yelled as she wrapped up his shot arm after removing the bullet. "Cheer up doll. It's good to see a familiar face." "Well, yours has happened to be the only familiar face I've seen since we got here." "No sign of the boys?" "Not that I know of."

"Mercy?" "Yes?" "Things-things are terrible out there. Were seeing things no man should ever see. And i- mercy I know you always say no but if I get out of here alive, all I ask is one date." She knew he was serious. He never dared to call her mercy. "If you get out of here alive Elijah, I will let you take me on one date when we go home. But, you have to promise me that you'll survive through this and that if you see the Shelby's before I do that you'll tell them all that I love them dearly and to stay safe." "You've got yourself a deal miss bourbon."
_________________________________________

A/n: this prologue was probably the easiest one I've ever done!