Celebrations and congratulations

Polly and Ada were over the moon when they saw the girl's huge diamond ring. Finn was far from happy though when he found out it meant mercy would move in with Elijah the next day.

"Mercy, why must you leave?" "Because I'm marrying him, Finn. That means I'm going to live with him and we'll get married and you'll be my ring bearer if you'd like and then after Elijah and I will have some children that you can play with too." "Do you love him?" "Yes. I wouldn't be marrying him if I didn't."

She kissed Finn's cheek as they all hopped in the car to take mercy stuff to her new home.

"Jesus mercy! I thought you were marrying Elijah farewell, not a bloody nobleman"  Polly said gawking at the house

"Jesus mercy! I thought you were marrying Elijah farewell, not a bloody nobleman" Polly said gawking at the house. "seriously mercy, does he have any cousins that need a wife?" "I don't know, why don't you ask him yourself?"

They each grabbed a crate along with Elijah's maids and walked into the oversized house.
"You are one lucky girl mercy bourbon."

"Hello, girls, love. Finn." "Oi mate, you better not hurt her." Finn was like a bite-sized warrior. There was no doubt that whoever got to marry him in the future would be lucky to have him.

"So Elijah, do you have any family?" Ada asked
_________________________________________

After everyone left Elijah helped mercy unpack her things into his room and showed her around the house before taking her out for dinner.

"So, I've got you an appointment with a very exclusive designer for your dress." "Really?! Elijah you didn't have to waste your money like that." "Our money. And if it's going towards you it's not a waste." "Mr. Farewell you really know how to make a girl blush." "You're the only one I want to make blush, soon to be Mrs. Farewell."

After dinner, they went home and slept in the same bed for the first time. Elijah was knocked out the second they lay down but mercy just layed there contemplating life and thinking of all the things she and John would be doing if he was here.

They would probably have a little boy and get married and live in watery lane and while mercy took care of their son and Finn. John would work at the betting shop with his brothers and go to the garrison after a long day of work but still go home to her and their baby and help her put him to sleep before falling asleep holding her in his arms as well.

It's nice to dream but as the days go by her dreams were disappearing.
_________________________________________

It had been 2 months since mercy moved in and she was currently meeting with her dress designer to create the perfect dress.

"Mercy!!" She heard Finn shout running down the halls. "Finn what's going on?! Why are you panting?! Are you aunt and sister alright?!" She took Finn to the kitchen and sat him down to give him some water.

"Yes but- my brothers, there coming home." She dropped finns glass of water on the floor.
"What?" "The wars over mercy. My brothers are going to be here by noon" she looked up at the clock on the wall and it was a quarter past 11.

"Okay um, go sit in my car ill be there in a minute." After Finn ran out she let her tears fall.

What was she supposed to tell john?
Hey, I thought you were dead so your mate proposed to me and I said yes?!

She went upstairs and changed into a red tea dress and put on her four-inch white heels and met Finn in her car.

"Do you know how to drive mercy?" "Elijah taught me last week." Finn's eyes widened as she started the car and began driving down the road.

Once they arrived at the train station Finn immediately jumped out of her car.

"Blimey! I thought you said you knew how to drive?!" "Shush!" She hit the back of the boy's head after she got out of the car with 10 minutes to spare before the train arrived.

Finn took her to Polly and ada and they both hugged her. "How's the rich life treating you?" "It's been fine. I was on the phone with my dress designer when Finn came." "Ooh, do you hear that aunt poll, shes got herself a dress designer?" "Oh shush ada! You can take the girl out of watery lane, but you cant take the watery lane out of the girl."

Before they could finish talking a loud noise was heard and a train pulled into the station.

Everyone was riled up as the doors open and petrified men walked out happy to see their loved ones.

"My brothers!!!" Fin shouted and ran off with ada following him. "Polly, please don't tell them about the abortion." "You know I wouldn't dear. Now let's go see our boys." they linked arms and soon found ada and Finn.

They were hugging Arthur and Tommy but John was nowhere in sight. Mercy went to hug them both and as she wrapped her arms around Arthur she heard a voice Yell from a few feet away.

"Oi! What about me?!" She looked up to see that pale freckle-faced man walking over to them dressed in his uniform with a bag over his shoulder.

She felt her world fall apart at that very moment. He hugged his little brother,
Then his sister,
His aunt,
And finally, his eyes landed on the brunette girl.

He dropped his bag and grabbed her waist and was about to go for a kiss but she dodged it and hugged him. He didn't understand why she didn't kiss him but he let it go.

They all left the station and went to the garrison. It was packed so the Shelby's and mercy went into the Shelby's snug.

Mercy could tell the boys were putting on a show for their siblings and aunt but she wouldn't say anything.

"So you boys come home just in time!" Polly said eagerly to the boys as she smoked her cigarette and they drank their beers while Finn, mercy, and ada drank sarsaparilla.

"What do you mean Polly?" Tommy asked with a blank expression. "Mercy's getting hitched! She said I could be her ring bearer if I wanted!" Finn said in excitement

Mercy looked down at the table as Tommy and Arthur congratulated her. "Who you marrying?" She heard that bittersweet voice asked. "She's marrying-" "oi, I asked her not you ada."

"Elijah farewell." She said nervously looking up at john. "Elijah farewell? Well, that's just fucking great init! Congratulations to you mercy fucking farewell!" John got up and stormed out of the snug. "John wait-" mercy followed him out as Tommy and Arthur looked clueless as to why their brother would be so mad.

"What crawled up his ass?" Polly just looked at the two and looked back down. She was the only person who knew about them.

"John wait!" "what the fuck do you want!" "John I didn't think you were coming home and poll said I couldn't wait cause you could be dead-" "since when the fuck do you listen to Polly, mercy?!" "john I didn't hear from you in almost 3 years! I waited for you but Elijah came home and said he didn't see you for 6 months and I tried to have faith and wait another year but he asked me to marry him and I didn't know what else to do!"

"You're full of shit, love! If you loved me like you said you did you would have waited Instead of getting hitched with my mate!" "john Shelby you have no clue what I went through my first year back! I needed you and I wrote to you but not once did you write back."

"You know damn well that wasn't my fault mercy." "it doesn't matter anymore, Elijah and I are getting married in a few months and if I could go back and fix this I probably would, but you can't change the past John Shelby. Go enjoy your celebration." mercy got into her car and drove off and it wasn't until she was down the road that John Shelby began to cry.

Some fucking celebration.