reconciliation and reconsideration

A/N please comment you guys It is honestly what gives me motivation to right thx enjoy also this was not proof read

"Samuel?"

"Dad?"

"oh shi-"

'I'M HOME! thank you Sarah for staying in this storm-"Mercy removed her coat and hung it but as soon as turned the corner and entered the family room her heart fell to her feet. there stood John Michael Shelby. in her living room. he hadn't aged a day but he looked tired. gone inside. this wasn't her john. but then again, was he ever truly hers?

"m-mercy" he staggered

"John, how?" "MERCY FUCKING BOURBON" It all settled in John, mercy wasn't hurt or taken or dead. she was perfectly fine. "don't yell at my mom!" Samuel's accent was practically gone. his son sounded nothing like him but like an American.

"Sarah please take them upstairs" Sarah looked at mercy concerned as she walked up all 12 steps to the 2nd floor with the soon-to-be 6-year-old and the two tots.

5 minutes had gone by of John and Mercy standing on separate sides of the room and not a word had been said the only thing to be heard was the crackle of the fire. finally, Mercy had sat on the couch and cleared her throat.

'"It's nice to see you, John." "it's nice to see me. mercy, it's nice to see me?! you run off with my son and daughter in the bloody middle of the night and leave no damned note with no explanation?! So what you're a damned harlot now with 2 bastards?!" he was fuming, the tips of his ears and neck soon turning cherry red. "excuse me-" "No mercy! I've spent 2 years looking for the 3 of you and there was no trace ANYWHERE. we were here for Tommy's bachelor party and we had to find out from Bloody Michael that you were dancing around in your bloomers for money at some gentlemen's club?!" he was pacing trying to avoid hitting her after all she was still his wife.

"Tommy betrothed?!" that was unexpected. mercy had never thought that bitter man would ever marry. "who gives a shit about my brother! this is about you running off with my children!" his finger was only an inch from her face and he was practically shaking. mercy looked at the floor avoiding his eyes.

she wouldn't even look him in the eyes and that was his last straw John grabbed her jaw aggressively and slammed her head back to make her look at him. mercy instantly slapped him and jumped up "Don't you fucking touch me! don't you ever touch me again John Shelby or ill cut every one of your damned fingers off. I left for a reason! I didn't want to be found and most certainly did not want to live a life of crime in a bloody small heath!"

"I loved you mercy. I loved you since you first moved to small heath but you took my children and ran! why? why did you take my children from me" John fell to his knees and sobbed into his hands.

"I may not have been the best husband but that's no reason to take my children from me. I never hurt them mercy! I didn't deserve that mercy!" he looked straight into her soul. mercy knew John wasn't made to be a peaky blinder but it was his family, his legacy. it was them or nothing or at least that's what he believed.

"I didn't want Frances and Samuel to end up like us. I didn't want them to grow up in shame with eternal blood on their hands. and if you hadn't hit me that night I might have never realized how far gone you truly were. you weren't the man I loved anymore. you were turning into him. you became toms shadow." he squinted through his tears as she sat next to him against the couch.

"you know, about 3 months in I wanted to go back. to give you another chance. I would work doubles to provide for the children and to afford a decent daycare but Samuel got kicked out for being too rough. I was tired all the time. I wanted to write you, to call. anything to talk to you so desperately. and then I found out I was pregnant. I talked to Elijah and he introduced me to Sarah to help with the children so I didn't have to go back. he told me about everything. about you going to jail and the pub exploding and all the mayhem. I had already messed up with Frances and Samuel I couldn't do that to Johnathan and Jeanette-" "Johnathan? how American" he said sarcastically,

"he's named after you. there yours John. just because I left did not mean I would break my vows. I was already pregnant when I left.- "

he looked over at her and into her eyes. What mercy did was wrong but it was in the name of love. because if there was anything that would always come before John it was the children. he had hit his pregnant wife in a fit of rage and he had now felt like the worst man in the world. worse than his black-hearted brother.

Mercy looked into his eyes and just dwelled in the beauty of them

"The rains stopped I'll be leaving now." Mercy looked up to see Sarah putting her coat on to leave and soon walking to the door.

as soon as it shuts John wipes his eyes and clears his throat

"Can I see them? the children I mean" "They are asleep John-" "That's fine I just want to see their faces. Please mercy" just as he thought she would deny him she stood up and walked to the end of the stairs.

"Are you coming or not?"