SNAP bets

Mercy's pov:

"Mercy." "Yes, Tommy?" "I need a favor." "What?" "The other day billy Kimber showed interest in you. I need you to make an appearance at the race." "You want me to flirt with him?" "No. I want you to make sure he doesn't try anything on grace, it's not necessary to involve her."

"Why me?" "Because your a peaky blinder to and if you don't john may or may not hear about your little secret." This blackmailing son of a-

"I'll see you there." He said taking his whiskey back into the snug.

Lately, I've been thinking about fixing the past. Telling John everything.
_________________________________________
Polly and I sat waiting for Tommy to come to the betting shop.

Ada Shelby had just become ada Thorne.

Soon Tommy walked in and Polly made sure he wasn't armed. "Tell him mercy." "Ada married Freddy Thorne just this morning. They defied your orders and haven't left the city."

"I'll deal with it," Polly said looking at a frustrated Tommy. "Where are they?" "Freddie's comrades have safe houses. Why do you want to know?" "I want to send flowers. Why do you think?!" "Would it be so bad if they stayed?" "I promised id run Freddy out of town." Son of a-

"Promised who?" "Alright, that's my cue to go home. Have a lovely evening." I grabbed my coat and ran out of there as fast as I could before anyone could say sit down.

This whole gang is a bloody mess and so is my life. Hell, I'm getting married to a man who is not quite sure I love in a month.

I didn't want to go home so instead, I went to visit the lee's "hello mercy!" Zilpha said as I entered her caravan. She was one of my mother's distant cousins. "Hello Zilpha, how've you been?" "Been better if I do say so myself. Those Shelby boys are causing me a lot of trouble though." "Sounds like em. But they're my family and-" "and family does anything for family." "Precisely"
_________________________________________
"Mercy, I can't sleep," Finn said coming up to me in the living room. "Come here." He laid across my lap and I ran my fingers through his hair massaging his head gently. "Can you sing me a song?" He asked smiling up at me and I sang dilly.

Soon he was asleep on my lap and Tommy walked in and sat in front of Polly and me, as I continued playing with Finn's hair.

"Freddie didn't want your money." He threw money on the table and looked at Polly. "And now the coppers are saying, if we don't turn Freddie in, there going to put ada on the arrest warrant as well. That's where your compassion gets you, pol. From now on, we do it my way."

"Or what?" Tommy got up and left and I continued to mind my business.

"Mercy" "yes?" "Do you ever wonder how your life would've been if you kept the baby?"

"Everyday Polly. Sometimes I sit and think about how I'm almost certain it would've been a girl, and that she would look exactly like John. You know, she would've been about 4. But I can't blame myself forever, can I? It's not like I knew he would come home."

"Your right dear, it's not your fault. You can't blame yourself for looking out for your future."
_________________________________________

It was the day of the race.

I put on a blush-colored dress and some white heels. I did some light makeup and finger curled my hair. I kissed Elijah goodbye as I went outside to see Tommy and grace waiting for me.

"You look lovely, doll." "You don't look too bad yourself Tommy. Hello, grace." To say I wasn't the biggest fan of her was an understatement.

There's something incredibly off about her.
We soon pulled up to well....somewhere the race wouldn't be.

"Mercy there's been a change of plans" "what?" "You're going to go with Arthur and john" I sighed and soon saw john and Arthur hop out of a car before I did as well to join them. "You owe me, Thomas Shelby."

"Finn? What on earth are you doing here?!" "John says I need to learn to do men's work." I lifted my glare onto his smiling older brother.

My god if he wasn't so handsome id rip his larynx out.

"Attention! Right, this is what's known as your final briefing before going over the top. 60 miles down that road is Cheltenham race track. Johnny! What's our mission boy?" "To stick it to the lee family, Arthur!" Wait, what?!

"The lees are skimming money off the legal bookies. Running chalk, selling rafflers, then beating up them who's a won't buy." The blinders went around passing a flask but I snatched it from Finn and handed it back to whoever brought it.

"What about kimbers men? I thought he had his own protection." "Kimber let his troops go rotten. They're on the take from the lees to look the other way. Were gonna show Kimber how it should be done. Now take what your good at, those of you with guns, keep them out of it unless a gun is pulled on you, we want this done quietly."

John took a small knife from Finn and handed him an even bigger one. "John Shelby have you lost your mind?! He's 11." "Calm down, love. He's gotta learn one way or another." I grabbed a few throwing knives and slipped them through my garter before hopping into the back of the truck with Finn and the others.
_________________________________________

The boys did what they had to do with Raz and we all left after Arthur delivered the money to Tommy.

I sat in the back of the truck with john, Finn, and the other blinders while Arthur drove. I was cleaning up the bloody men when we arrived at the garrison.

Everyone got their beers while Finn and I stuck to our sodas.

"So finny, how about another round of snap?" I asked pulling a deck of cards from behind the bar. "How about we make a bet?" "Hmm, I guess we could mix things up a bit." "If I win-" Finn was interrupted by john coming over and whispering into his ear before winking at me and walking off.

"Well, what do you want Finn?" He looked a little nervous. "If I win, you have to talk to john, alone." That piece of shit. How dare he use Finn to get to me! Especially since Finn practically came out of the damn womb playing snap!

"What would I get if I win?" "What do you want ?" "You have to let me dress you up and take you to school!" Finn looked horrified.

"D-deal." I knew he would win, it's bloody Finn. But I liked that I had something to scare him with.

We were only three minutes in when Finn shouted "SNAP! I win!!" Soon I felt a pair of eyes on me and turned to see john smirking and the prick handed Finn 3 pounds. That little-

"Well, looks like your coming with me then." John grabbed my hand and brought me into the snug.

"You could've asked to speak to me." "Wheres the fun in that love?" "John, what do you want from me?" "I don't think you should marry him." " why not?" "You don't love him and he's not yours to love" "john I made a big sacrifice because I thought you were dead. Not a single letter from you. Elijah came home and made me forget about all the pain and suffering."

"What pain? What suffering?! That wasn't my fault mercy and you know that I was doing my duty to our country!" "John I loved you, hell I gave you the one thing I could never get back and I don't regret it. But I spent years waiting before I realized I was probably waiting for a dead man!"

"Well I'm alive, aren't I?! Come on mercy, I know you love me more. I know I'm not the only one that imagines us having a bunch of babies running circles around us and growing old with each other." He was right.

So right.

I wanted that, Kids, with him and to grow old. I have to tell him.

"John there's something I need to tell you."