My boy

Ada refuses to speak to any of us. She won't even take the food Polly and I leave her and the baby sounds miserable.

John and I haven't even properly settled into our new home because I've been trying to force-feed ada and get her husband out of jail.

"Finn, will you get me that cup please?" I just finished making a pot of tea for Finn and me while everyone else was off doing who knows what. He brought the cup but soon went to open the door.

"Bloody hell." "Finn what did I say about- bloody hell." Elijah stood in the doorway looking out of breath.

"Elijah, we should speak outside." He nodded his head and I joined him outside shutting the door behind me.

"Mercy, where've you been? I came home finding out you haven't been home and your stuff's gone and-" I pulled out the ring he gave me and placed it into his palm.

"Mercy what?-" "I'm sorry Elijah, I don't mean any harm but I haven't been honest with you."
"Love, what are you going on about? Please just come home." "I'm sorry Elijah but I'm afraid that would be considered adultery with someone who isn't my husband." "But i-"

"Elijah, I'm married" "what?" "You are an amazing man Elijah and any girl would be lucky to have you, never forget that. But you were never the one for me. I tried to fit into your lifestyle but that will never be me, I will never be a classy housewife that lives off of her husbands' money and I think you've always known that. Since we were 8 years old I've been in love with John, my whole world has always revolved around him and I have given him every part of me, and it would be wrong for me to put you through a loveless marriage"

"Mercy bourbon , please don't-" his eyes began to water. "It's Shelby now." He took a step back and looked me in the eyes like I had just told him I ran over his dog.

"I'm sorry Elijah, I will always be grateful for our time together and I wish you the best in life."
_________________________________________

"Oh Polly, you would not believe what just-" I walked into the kitchen but stopped as my blood began to boil. "The fuck is he doing here?"

"Nice to see you too, doll. Who's the lad that got stuck with you?" There sat Arthur senior at the table pointing at my ring as Arthur junior gave him some food. The nerve of this man. I knew Arthur senior my whole life and he was nothing but a selfish bastard

John pulled me next to him and kissed my cheek. "Um, dad, this is my wife." He let out a chuckle and began to pray.

"Bless you, father, for the bounties, we are about to receive-" "Jesus Christ-" "holy fuck-"I scoffed "please women, not in vain." "The fucking nerve-"
"Finish your sandwich and sling your hook" Polly looked at the man frustrated

"Pollyanna,im the guess of the head of this family, so why Don't you and Mrs.Shelby here, maybe tend to your mangle or your scuttle"
"The head of the family ain't here, and you don't speak to my wife like that." Arthur sr looked at Arthur jr. confused as he was the oldest son.

"Tommy, he sometimes helps me with the business, dad." "Sometimes? Helps you? Please, we're talking about saint Thomas here-"
soon I was stopped as saint Thomas came through the doors.
"Ahh, speak of the devil and he shall appear." I put a hand on my hip and made a sarcastic surprised face.

"How are you son?" I knew when to cut it out and now was the time. I pulled Finn behind me and john moved in front of us in case things went tits up.

"Get out." "Come on, son. I'm a changed man." "This family needed you ten years ago and you walked out on us. Not now. Get out of this house." I felt a tear fall down my cheek as I stared at Tommy's face, he was hurt and nothing hurt satan.

I remember the pain that ada and john consoled me about after their mother passed and father left them. It had felt like I had a father of my own that stomped on my heart when I needed him the most and left me.

"Tommy he's different-" "shut up." "It's alright, son. Arthur Shelby never stays where he's not welcome. Quite something you've become." He said the last part to Polly as he grabbed his coat and walked towards Finn and i.

"Bye, son." I smacked his hand away from Finn and smacked him across his face. He has no right to break that poor boy's heart and leave him to believe that he wasn't wanted.

"Don't. You. Dare. Refer to him as your son. You left him with no one but an aunt and 4 siblings. You have no right to touch, speak or even look at Finn after the pain you caused him." "Mercy-" John tried to pull me away but I leaned forward and whispered into Arthur's senior's ear.

"So help you, god, if I ever see you around Finn again I will slit your tongue and rip it out with my bare hands because I would rather pluck my own eyes out before letting that boy experience a piece of the pain you put my john through."

I pulled away and took Finn up to his room.

"Thank you." He whispered as we sat on his bed. "No Finn, that's not necessary. You don't deserve to be hurt like that." "Mercy I don't understand why he keeps leaving me." "Because he's a selfish bastard that doesn't even deserve to breathe your air. I've always told you that you are my boy and there's nothing I wouldn't do for you. Can I tell you a secret?"

"Sure, I'm your best friend." "Protecting you is like repaying you. I remember when you were just about 6 and I had just come back from the war and something very sad happened to me that I couldn't handle life anymore but then you would smile at me and tell me
About your day at school or layed on my lap until you fell asleep and suddenly all my sadness would disappear and I would be happy, Finn you saved my life more than you know and for that, I will always love and protect you because of your my boy."

I hugged Finn till he fell asleep.

"I can't believe I'm best friends with an 11-year-old," I mumbled to myself.

_________________________________________
"Welcome home, Mrs. Shelby" john moved his hands from my eyes and revealed a townhome just a few doors down from the family home and the betting shop. We had just left after I put Finn to bed

"Oh, Mr.Shelby. It's lovely." I turned around and wrapped my arms around his neck bringing him into a kiss which he immediately responded to and brought his hands around my waist.

"Do you like it?" "I love it. But it's missing something." "What's that, we haven't..blessed it yet." I pulled him through the doors and shut it with my foot as my hands began to pull the buttons open on his shirt.

"You know just what I like Mrs.Shelby." He grabbed my hand and we ran up the stairs to our new room and removed my dress and began kissing down my neck

Alone at last.
_________________________________________
A/n: I may or may not have cried so that's why I ended it the way I did cause serotonin was a necessity :) also i wanted to show more of the kind of relationship and love finn and mercy have