Old lover boy

Mercy's pov 1919:

"For a 23-year-old woman, you sure do act like a child." "Don't be jealous, Polly. Besides, I've only been 23 for a few months." The new year just passed and by march, I should be Mrs.farewell.

John try's to avoid me any chance he can get. I don't want to get married to Elijah until I clear things with John cause the boys are still mates.

Finn, ada, and Polly came over for some tea, and Finn and I were coloring pieces of parchment. "You must show aunt pol your dress!" "It's in France at the moment being tailored." "Lucky wench" ada said dramatically!

Finn. It's time for us to head to the betting shop to help the lads." "But aunt poll I want to stay-" "Don't worry Finn, ill come with you. We can even bring these crayons if you'd like." I smiled at the 10-year-old as he put them in their box and headed off to the car with the rest of us trailing behind him.

We soon arrived at the shop that reeked of tobacco and sweat. Finn and I went into the other room to get away from the noise while Polly and Ada went running errands.

We were only there a few minutes before I walked into the bathroom. By the time I came back, Tommy walked in. "Finn, I thought this was a betting shop, not an art studio." "Arthurs mad as hell." He reached down and grabbed a cigarette bud. "What does a 10-year-old Know about hell?"

"Finn Shelby have you been smoking?!" I asked as I went to sit next to him. "I'll be 11 Sunday." Tommy laughed and lightly hit his head with his cap

"That's still far too young to be smoking. Your balls haven't even dropped and you think you are big enough for a cigarette?" "Let the boy be mercy, he'll learn the hard way." That's the last thing any of us wanted for Finn Shelby. Finn was the main priority of everyone in the gang. He needed protection. To be shielded from his brothers' world, and that's exactly what we've been doing yet he still weasels his way in!

Tommy opened the doors to the betting shop and the loud noise filled the house.

"Tommy! Tommy! Tommy, look at the book." John shouted running down from the chalkboard to show Tommy the stats. Finn and I decided to ignore the ruckus as best as we could but it only got louder.

"Can we go upstairs?" "Ask Tommy if you could go up to his office for a bit." "Will you come with me?" I nodded at the boy and went out into the illegal betting area but we couldn't find Thomas.

"Oi, john." "What Finn. I'm busy." "Can mercy and I go sit in your office to get away from the noise?"John turned around annoyed and gave him the key. "Actually Finn I can't stay. It's getting late and I've got things to do before Elijah gets home."

"Oh, do you want your crayons back?" "No, you keep them." He smiled at me and grabbed his papers and crayons and ran up the stairs to the offices.

"Tell dear old lover boy I say hi," John said to me as I was about to walk out the door. I just nodded at him and walked out towards my car.

Before I went home I went scoping for a gift for Finn's birthday. His past few birthdays were pretty shit since he only had Polly, ada, and myself there.

I decided that since Elijah would be going on a work trip Tomorrow night that I would have him pick something out in London.
_________________________________________
Johns pov:

Arthur was badly beaten and we were all gathered in the living room while ada attempted to help.

"John wipe the blood out of his eye." "Since when did you give orders?" "I'm a trained nurse" my sister must be loopy.

"Don't make me laugh, it hurts my face." "Speaking of nurses. Wheres mercy? Shouldn't she be here helping? She's one of us." "I didn't call her. She's got a lot on her plate with wedding planning and all."

"For now I'm the nurse round here," Ada said.
"You went to one first aid class in the church hall and got thrown out for giggling." "Not before I learned how to stop somebody from choking."

"I'm, not bloody choking, am I?" " you will be when I wrap this cloth around your neck! Besides, I helped aunt pol take care of mercy when she-" Polly threw a rag at adas's head making her shut up.

"Hush child! That is not your business to be spreading!" What were those squawking birds going on about?!

"John you need to get used to your sister taking mercy's place at times. For all, we know
After they marry they could start a family and Elijah will probably want her off her feet and with the children" I've had enough of all this bull shit.
_________________________________________
Elijah had some business to handle at a club so I dressed into a fringe cocktail dress, pearl earrings necklace bracelets, add my hairpiece to my brown hair.

"Are you ready darling?" "Yes, let me put my shoes on." "You look ravishing doll." I put my black heels on and walked with him to the car.

We arrived at the club and entered the building. The black walls were bouncing with music and people were either drinking, laughing, or dancing.

Elijah did work with his colleagues in the back of the club while I stayed upfront to enjoy the music and dancing.

Soon Elijah came and started to dance with me and I felt the room begin to quiet down a bit.

I looked to the entrance and saw john Shelby... and the local whore, Lizzie stark.

"Oi, john Shelby!" I heard Elijah yell across the club and john smirked. We walked over to them and i ignored the both, paying more attention to the gold accents on the walls.

"So i hear you snd mercy are getting hitched?" "I told you id marry her!" Elijah laughed "well did your sweet fiancé tell you-" "lets dance!" I shouted snd grabbed Elijahs hand as I noticed john was stiffening up every minute they were standing near each other.