Prolouge pt.3

1916:

It had been 2 years since the start of the war, and one since mercy last seen or heard from john. Men were starting to slowly come home from discharge.

Mercy was just about to turn 21 but John's birthday had already passed. She still never got a single letter from the man.

Ada and mercy were walking home from the betting shop when they saw a man leaning against a brand new car dressed in uniform. "Baby doll bourbon, I believe you owe me a date." I walked closer to the man only to reveal none other than Elijah farewell

"How are you back?" "honorable discharge. Nearly got my leg blown off." "How are the boys?!" "I wouldn't know. I haven't seen them in 6 months" mercy prayed that the boys were alright.

"So, about that date?" Mercy hopped into his car and they gave ada a ride home before he took mercy to one of the most expensive restaurants in Birmingham.

Mercy didn't care for overpriced food. The girl found joy in dancing and partying. "Mercy I've known you my whole life but it feels like I don't know anything about you." "I could say the same about you, Elijah. Tell me about yourself"

"My father was a doctor and I'm a lawyer but even before that my family was quite wealthy. I enjoy football and going to the races. Now you tell me all about mercy baby doll bourbon" he smiled at the girl.

"I work at the betting shop, I enjoy dancing and partying and I'm part gypsy but my family was shunned many years ago. My mum died while I was away in France helping and I've been living with the Shelby's since."

"Why do they call you baby doll?" "Cause I looked like a doll as a child I suppose."
That he couldn't deny. Mercy had always been a gorgeous doll-like girl.

They finished dinner and mercy could actually say she had a good time with him. He helped her into the car before driving to watery lane and walking mercy to the doorstep.

"There's a house I just bought before the war right outside of Birmingham. If you ever get tired of the Shelby's you could stay with me."
"That's very kind of you Elijah but I think I prefer watery lane." He kissed her hand before getting back in his car and making sure she got inside before leaving.

"What the bloody hell was that?!" Polly and Ada asked as mercy shut the door. "We just went on a date. It was a one-time thing." "What about John?" "Whats my brother got to do with this?" Ada was completely clueless about her best friend and brother.

"It doesn't matter now ada. Besides Polly, your the one who said he may not even come back and I cant rely on what-ifs I'm just shy of 21 and I need to start looking for a husband." "But you hate Elijah bloody farewell" "He's a really sweet guy once you get to know him ada." "I'm telling you, aunt pol, this one has gone bloody mad!"
_________________________________________
One date turned into two

Two turned into four

Four turned into 10

And soon mercy agreed to let Elijah courtship her after almost a year of dates. He always took mercy out dancing and partying at night and for tea during the day. He was falling in love with mercy fast.

The same couldn't be said for mercy though.
She still wasn't over john and that scared her.
She hadn't heard from him at all and as she was slowly falling for Elijah she began to bury her feelings for john. What if he was dead? What if she kept the child? She would be alone and poor. The Shelby women were already stressed enough even with her help but they would've gone bankrupt if mercy wasn't around to help.

"Mercy! Elijah's here!" She ran downstairs after admiring her dress and stopped at the last step to see Elijah smiling at her. "You look like the starlet of watery lane." "I think you mean harlot," Finn said attempting to correct Elijah.

"FINN SHELBY YOU LITTLE-" Polly threw her shoe at the young boy that ran away down the hall. "You look, gorgeous love." Ada complimented her with a big smile.

Mercy had no clue why everyone seemed so giddy.

At least not yet.

_________________________________________
Elijah and mercy arrived at the newest nightclub in Birmingham. It was said to be very successful there so Elijah decided that mercy was to only dance at the most extravagant clubs.

The second she walked through the doors she heard Charleston music playing and ran to the dance floor as Elijah went to get a drink.

She really was a starlet. She usually kept to herself but when music began to play she was a whole other person. She was mercy.

You could say baby doll was her alter ego. The person people who didn't know her saw but when you know her you know mercy.

"Are you enjoying yourself, darling?" "Always Elijah." He finished his drink and began to dance with her.

"Your very beautiful mercy." "So I've been told." "Can I tell you something?" "You know I'm good with secrets Elijah, of course, I can."

"I'm in love with you mercy bourbon." Mercy felt her heart stop. Love? He was in love?

"I-i love you to Elijah" mercy knew deep down she wasn't exactly being honest but her hopes in john returning was fading away. Men started being discharged a year and a half ago and neither of the boys were home.

"Well, that's splendid love because I have another question." He let go of her hand and dropped to his knee in front of everyone.

"Mercy I've been in love with you since we were 13 and I have never felt more honored than when you agreed to go out with me. But I've got one more step till our happily ever after.
Mercy vadoma bourbon, will you do me the honors of becoming my wife and Mrs.farewell? Will you marry me?"

Mercy felt the air leave her lungs. The only man she truly wanted to marry was john. She didn't even mind that he knocked her up because she didn't care as long as it was john who did it. He could slice her cheek open with his peaky cap and she would forgive him.

But Elijah, she didn't want to say no and smash his heart. So she smashed her own instead...

"Yes"