28. Soggy Campfire Stories.

=🌿=

At long last we reach the destination. I'm also surprised to see that it's actually here. The area is littered with ponds that contain fat koi fish that swim through the stems of the water weeds and huge lilypads.

The stepping stone bridge across the creek that fades into a faint stepping stone path within the overgrown, flower-scattered grass leads up to a large, abandoned, overgrown glasshouse.

I found this place a while ago, when I'd gotten unbelievably mad at a petty argument I'd had with a slytherin after beating them up with my FISTS (I felt pretty good about that), but got in huge trouble afterwards and decided to storm off into the forest before my major anger issues encouraged me to blow up the school.

And before I knew it, I was here. I'm surprised I even remembered how to find my way back to the school grounds.

I did have to flick my wand a few times to fix a few things up, and tidy things away back then, but it honestly doesn't look too bad now.

"Damn.." The boy beside me trails off, as he looks around, bewildered by his surroundings. I only spare him a fleeting glance, before continuing towards the glass house, across the creek. Taking my time to step across the flat headed rocks that peek above the rippling surface of the otherwise calm waters.

 Taking my time to step across the flat headed rocks that peek above the rippling surface of the otherwise calm waters

"Reparo" I yawn. It's getting cold. Either that, or I'm only just beginning to notice as the skin on my arms reveal goose bumps, and my hair sticks up. I shiver, but startle as I hear a splash behind me.

I turn to see Alexander submerge his head from the creek, the water rushing from his now flattened, drenched hair. I sigh, hastily making my way towards the edge of the body of water, struggling to keep in my giggles.

"Why is this so deep!?" He cries. I smirk, only just managing to hold my laughter as I reach out my hand, to which he gladly grips as I help tug his weight from the waters.

Once I get him inside the glasshouse, sat on the floor, I realise something.

"You're gonna have to strip" I illustrate, summoning a pile of twigs and group of stones from outside with my wand.

"What?" He looks nearly horrified as he looks up at me; "It's too cold!" My amusement fades slightly when he makes it known that he isn't embarrassed to take his clothes off in front of me.

"If you want to dry quicker, you'll need to take your clothes off. And you'll be alright, I'm setting up a fire, so you shouldn't get too cold" I clarify, bringing a trail of sand, floating through the doorway with another wave of my wand, and then a collection of things that burn easily, such as pine cones, and dried leaves.

Alexander reluctantly begins to undress, though he seems unconcerned of my presence, as the boy completely ignores me. I pull the gravelly sand into a round formation on the floor in the center of the room, placing the rocks around it, then balancing the twigs in the traditional campfire construction, sprinkling the dried leaves over the lot, and propping the pine cones around the edges of the pyramid of sticks.

I use my wand to light one of the withering leaves within the pile, and the makeshift fire that i've put together gradually begins to burn, radiating heat. I welcome the sensation gladly as my body warms up. I turn to Alexander, whom is now only in his underwear. I try to ignore the suggestive areas, as well as his toned stomach.

It isn't until now that I notice his tattoos. He's covered in them! They all look so cool and I have to consciously stop myself from tracing one on his neck.

Murmuring a spell to direct a gust of wind at his hair, to dry it partially, I take his clothes that he holds out towards me, unsure of what to do with them. I hang them from an old hanging wire above the window that I'd repaired earlier, before turning back to the shivering boy who is now sat dangerously close the flames. The view reflecting in his eyes as he gazes into the blazing pit.

"Alexander." I call, pulling Juniper out of my cloak pocket before shrugging it off entirely.

"Xander" he corrects gently, looking up at me, then eyeing my snake.

"Curious" Why not just Alex? That's what I assumed it'd be, but obviously I was wrong. How strange to choose the more uncommon name from the two. though I suppose that some people just like to declare themselves different.

"My mother used to call me Alex. It's just not a very pleasant memory" He explains, as if reading my mind. I walk towards him and circle behind him, now looking down at his bare back. It's also dotted with tattoos, and scarred, but i don't say anything. Juniper slithers up onto my shoulder.

"Well, fair enough" I reply, not intruding with any unwanted queries. I drape my cloak over his trembling shoulders, then sit down beside him, yet at a respectful distance. He pulls the fabric around his shoulders more, savoring the lingering heat that clung to the material.

"So, what brought you that deep into the forest, Y/n? Was there a reason?" He inquires after a while of comfortable silence, turning his gaze to me as he spoke.

"Stress." I yawn after my response, covering my mouth.

"With what? If you don't mind me asking, that is." I sigh, beginning to tell him about Tom, and Orion, only skimming over the traumatic experience that Orion—the bloody bastard—inflicted on me, all without very much detail at all. Though I think I may have gotten carried away after catching myself at "Dumbledore asked me to go back in time to—"

"To what?" Xander urges nonchalantly, his gaze unamused. I look back at him warily. Cautious of his reaction to my stories of being abused and breaking the law.

"N-nothing. I wasn't supposed to tell you that" I look down, fiddling with my one simple ring that I wore on my right middle finger.

"I wouldn't tell anyone. There's no need to worry. Though I won't force you to tell me anything more" He assures me in a soft tone. I give my head a small sway, refusing his request. Though I find his promises comforting.

"Very well."

We sit in silence for a while, Juniper had left my shoulder to settle on the other side of the crackling fireplace, seeking another angle of warmth, and soon fell asleep.

Not long after, I find my eyes drooping, but I don't get the chance to move into a more comfortable position before I, too begin to fall asleep. My eyes close gently, as I let the forest sounds fill my ears along with the fire crackling. I let the warmth soothe my aching legs, before I fall unconscious, into a slumber.

=🌿=