36. Bathroom Breakdown.

=🌿=

Class ends and I sigh. What a shame that the note between Tom and I was confiscated, because--to be honest with myself--I would have liked to keep it.

There must be something wrong with me. I know that Tom Riddle isn't at all a good person, but I can't help but get flustered whenever he does the smallest things, even his eyes are the prettiest.

His eyes are only brown, but when I look into them, I see colours that don't even exist.

All the while I know that the unbelievably perfect man is destined to be the one and only Lord Voldemort, and I'm to be the one to stop that.

There must be something wrong with him. He's supposed to be the stone-cold, ignorant, obnoxious asshole. To everyone. So why not me?

He even shows darn affection towards me! And he acts as though it's all in my head, even though his smallest actions set my insides aflame. Is he manipulating me? That would make sense. Am I just being a fool? Do his actions not mean anything?

But what if they are genuine? It would benefit me in the long-run. In all seriousness, if he were to fall in love with me, I'd have a much higher chance of preventing him from becoming the Dark Lord. Even though I know he's currently incapable of love.

And plus, I'd have a fine man--if I do say so myself--and I'd probably be shielded by all the bitches that dare to even look at me.

I need to try my hardest to stop him from creating horcruxes, he can't lose his pretty face, and I prefer him a lot more with his nose.

"Y/n." Tom interrupts my thoughts. I look up at him, then around the classroom. Only a few students linger, either still packing up, or asking Hill useless questions to seem the slightest part interested in his subject.

"Yes?" I reply, returning my attention up towards the man who stands beside me, myself still sat in my seat.

"Would you be okay to wait outside while I talk to the teacher?" He asks, scooping the last of my things into his bag. I shudder at the thought of being by myself outside, the memory of Orion traumatising my mind.

"..Do I have to? Can't I just wait here?" I ask, almost pleading. Tom shakes his head, but smiles reassuringly.

"I'll only be a few seconds." He lowers his bag strap over my head, and pulls my wand out of my pocket, placing it into my hand.

"Only a second" He repeats, waving before I leave. I lean against the wall outside the class, my eyes warily flicking around. I feel paranoid, weak almost.

Only a few seconds. Only a few seconds.

I hear a shout of protest from inside the classroom, but I ignore it, if I go in now, I'm only proving to myself how useless I am.

A moment later, Tom opens the door, immediately sending me a dashing smile and I look away.

"Everything okay?" He asks, holding out a piece of paper. It's our note from earlier, except now it has a small detail that almost makes me scream.

 It's our note from earlier, except now it has a small detail that almost makes me scream

He smirks down at me when I look up at him, wide-eyed.

"There is something wrong with you" I mumble.

"What? I'm just using your reaction to prove my point" He muses, taking the heavy bag from my shoulder.

"Well don't, it's terrifying" I utter, making him chuckle.

"All the better. We have potions" He informs me, taking my hand when notices me scratching at my bandage.

"Ughh" I groan. "Not Professor Slughorn."

"Yes, Professor Slughorn." Tom retorts and I roll my eyes.

I fold up the small piece of paper and slide it into the inside pocket of my robes, the familiar action reminding me of how Juniper would sleep in my pockets.

I stop dead in my tracks, trying to push away the unwanted wave of sadness. My hand that Tom holds tightly anchors him too.

"Y/n? What's wrong?" He asks as my eyes well up. He notices right away. "Oh Y/n... shh, shh, you're fine, hold on."

He drags me down the flight of stairs but stops at the second floor, me stumbling behind as I desperately try to hold in my emotions.

Tom pulls me into a female lavatory and pulls me into his chest where I burst into tears.

He lets me sob in silence as I break down, the last few days of trauma finally flooding out with my tears.

"It's okay. You're okay." His tone is cold, but it's sweet nonetheless, knowing that he's probably never even tried to comfort somebody before.

Once I finish bawling, I pull away from his embrace, embarrassed. He doesn't speak, or even ask why I randomly, out of nowhere burst into tears.

"Sorry" I mumble. He still doesn't say anything, just watching me. He seems concerned.

"You shouldn't be here. You might get in trouble" I say, fiddling with my fingers.

"No one comes in here. It's pretty much unused" He explains, taking my hand and leading me out of the bathroom, straight to the dungeons and into the potions classroom.

"Great. We're still early" Tom mutters as we enter. Slughorn, whom sits at the front of the classroom, behind his desk, looks up immediately, smiling widely at the sight of Tom, and even wider at the sight of me.

Tom sighs, handing me the bag.

"Tom, my friend! Welcome back! You're here humblingly early, would you mind taking these and putting one at each table?" He says, dumping a tall stack of books into Tom's arms. He nods, mumbling under his breath a "Good morning to you too, sir" and begins delivering them to the tables.

"And you! Miss S/n, welcome to my class! I have high hopes for you, and sincerely wish for you to become a skilled potioneer with the help of my class!" He says, greeting me with a rough handshake, using his fat hand.

"Yes, thank you, sir. Good morning" I smile sweetly.

"Find a seat!" He says. I look towards Tom who points to a two cauldron table at the very front of the classroom. I sit down, setting the bag on a hook that is attached to the table between the two stools.

The layout in the potions classroom is much different from what it was in my time. Instead of there being large round tables for groups of people, it has small, rectangular tables with space for two students spread around in uniform positions.

The shelves are the same, outlining almost every wall, packed with jars and containers of potions ingredients.

A while after Tom has taken his seat next to me, closest to the wall, students start to fill the classroom.

After Professor Slughorn greets the class, he explains the contents of today's class.

"Today, we will be brewing the Calming Draught."

=🌿=