34. Hesitation.

=🌿=

Tom's POV

"Are you coming to class or not?" I ask, sitting back down on the edge of the bed right by the girl as I look back at her. She doesn't reply, only lays there with her eyes closed even though I know she's awake.

I admire her long lashes and stare at her peaceful face. It's been a while since I've seen her brow relax from it's consistent faint scowl, and I forgot how pretty she is.

I shake my head, internally slapping myself for thinking like that. I turn around, pulling my shirt on and standing up again, turning around to face Y/n, who is now quietly watching me.

"We didn't do any homework yesterday, nor go to astronomy. I know there were good reasons for that, but I was disappointed after missing astronomy with you" I say inanimately, fixing my top button as I look back down into her eyes.

She sighs, still staring at me, but doesn't move. I roll my eyes, grabbing my green, silver-adorned tie from the bedside table.

"Come on, first class is only Ancient Runes" I say pulling the tie around my neck and tying it neatly before straightening my collar. "Just the quiet scratching of the quills on paper and warmth of the morning sun through the sixth floor windows. Orion isn't in that class, and I'll be right beside you the whole time anyway."

She closes her eyes, groaning. I can see how tired she is, but she shouldn't stay down here all day. And because I am going to class, I'd rather not have her suffer down here with a burning wrist.

Once I'm happy with the state of my shirt, I leave to go to my wardrobe, pulling out her clean, ironed uniform, her skirt neatly folded and her shirt smooth, on a coat hanger.

"I don't want to.." She says hesitantly. I sigh deeply, placing her uniform on the side table, and lying down beside her. She gives me a confused look but I wrap my arms around her like how we've slept many times before and rest my face in her shoulder.

She smells very much like the forest to the point where I can even catch the scent of pine. It's not a bad smell, but it can't even be compared to her usual scent. Not that I take note of what that smells like. At all, ever.

"You have every right not to trust me, I understand after what happened. But I'm sorry for how I acted. I was being a right twat. But please come to class. Abraxas might be there. I have no clue whether or not he has quidditch practice, but even so, you can hold my hand the whole time if you really have to" I feel her scoff at my last comment, tucking her nose into the crook of my neck.

I come to, regaining my composure as I pull away, standing up again. We're not sleeping, there's no need for meaningless affection. But as I look back down, I can't help but compare Y/n's face to a rejected puppy.
Although I brush her expression off anyway.

"I'd appreciate it if you joined me in class today. Even if you don't participate" I say, turning to retrieve my shoes from the shoe rack.

"...Fine" She huffs, sitting up from her previous position. I turn to face her, shoes in hand with a satisfied smirk.

"Good. I'm glad."

I watch as she rolls her eyes, and turn as she changes, pulling on my leather shoes instead. Once she's done, I move back to the side of the bed, pulling her bright coloured tie from the bedside drawer.

After she ties it, I hand her own shoes to her. They aren't her leather uniform ones, since she wore her mufti shoes to my room.

It's humorous how her whole attire contrasts my room. Her yellow and oranges harshly rejecting the dark greens and blacks of my room.

"You shouldn't wear your robe. It's covered in dirt smudges and leaves. I think you look better without it anyway" I say, fondly straightening her tie and fixing her white collar after she stands from tying her laces.

"Mm." She yawns, lazily taking my hand as I lead her towards my door. "I'm in Gryffindor uniform."

"It's fine. I'm pretty sure everyone knows you've been staying with me. Tell me if you get cold" I say. She nods sluggishly, grabbing her books and equipment and my worn book bag on the way out.

She takes her time walking as she puts her things into my bag, and I patiently walk beside her, my hand hovering hesitantly at the small of her back.

Once she's done, she slips the strap over head so the bag sits at her hip and sighs, taking my hand that still hesitates at her back without even sparing me a glance.

I immediately feel slightly embarrassed, but squeeze her hand and brush off the humiliation in silence as we pick up our speed towards the sixth floor.

As we reach the hall, she pulls me around the corner and stops in front two doors. The labels beside them read 6A and 6B. The subject tile underneath B was left blank whereas 6A's tile read 'Study of Ancient Runes.'

Y/n pushes open the door and leads us inside, sitting at the very back left in the very corner.

=🌿=

Y/n's POV

I can feel the warmth of Tom's hand at my back, even though he's not directly touching me, the radiating warmth is enough. It's funny how sometimes his hands are freezing, while other times they're so warm that I can feel it when he's not even touching me.

His hand still hovers as we walk slowly, me struggling with his damn old, shaggy satchel. I think it's cute; how he's the most stubbornly perfect being to breathe at hogwarts, but if you look too close, you'll notice how well worn and threadbare his belongs are.

The butterflies in my stomach flutter about nervously at the feeling of his hand haunting the cloth draped over my back. He's held me by my back before, he's never hesitated to touch me as simply as this previously, so why is he now?

I start to feel guilty as he gently watches me, slowly walking beside me at my pace. His patience with me is scary. Why is he so patient all of a sudden? My gosh, why am I so anxious today?

I sigh as I finally finish shoving my things into his bag, pulling it over my head. I grow irritated with his apprehensiveness, snatching his hand from behind my back and holding it at my side.

He doesn't react audibly, but I can tell he's sheepish. It makes me smirk. Why is he acting so funny?

After we reach the classroom, I drag him to the corner. I cannot be fucked with people attention today, and if pulling Tom into a corner will lessen the chance of recieving that, then that's exactly what I'll do.

=🌿=