29. On the Way Out.

=🌿=

I take in a deep breath of fresh air, rubbing at my wrist unconsciously. I'll have to get the bandages replaced at some point, they've begun to unravel, and I'd prefer to keep my hand.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I force them open, enduring the burning sensation of the newfound bright light burning into my eyes as they desperately attempt to adjust.

I'm surprisingly warm and comfortable as I stretch my neck to the side, still readjusting to my surroundings in the new light. Even though it's a lot brighter than it had been last night, I notice it's cold and dim enough to be able to tell that the sun has only just risen. So it's probably around 5AM.

I'm sitting upright, my head leaned back against something, while something else rests lazily wrapped around my lower torso. I yawn, my eyes watering as I watch the vapor of my breathe float up and fade away into the air.

I cast my gaze around the room, still half asleep but progressively waking up. My eyes drift over the burnt out campfire from last night, a few thin shadows cast over the ashy sight due to the glass frames.

"Finally. I was planning to wake you soon" A voice rumbles from above. I flinched, only just coming to realize that I was in Xander's arms.

"Just as well you didn't have to" I mumbled. Merlin knows that no one wants to wake me up for their own safety.

I picked up his arms that lay across my stomach, and dropped them at his sides before climbing out between his legs.

He's leaning back against the wall, his head rested against the thin beam of metal separating the glass panels. I notice he's still bare skinned, hugging my cloak to himself. I'm not even going to ask how I ended up with him wrapped around me

Making my way over to the wire where I'd draped his clothing to dry, I pull them down, dropping them into his lap.

"Thanks" he utters, discarding my cloak and gladly climbing into his own clothes.

I offer him a cigarette as we exit the rickety shelter of the building, fully exposing ourselves to the cold outside air. He refuses my offer, so I put the pack back into my pocket, I wasn't planning to have another anyway.

"Are you a student?" I wonder as I watch him take his time, slowly stepping across the stones in the creek. I take his hands as he reached the the last one, pulling him completely onto the bank.

"I was a student. I might need to get in touch with professor Dippet" He mumbles, as though planning things aloud.

"Probably a good idea" I reply quietly. I set Juniper down at my feet, now wishing I had brought my phone and earbuds with me.

Juni slithers ahead of us, beginning our walk back to the school. After we'd pass through the mushrooms again, it didn't take very long before I recognize the general area of where Alexander's mirror layed.

=🌿=

We quietly stroll, side by side, both looking straight ahead and occasionally straying to examine our surroundings.

I notice that our footsteps suddenly become louder, but I ignore it, assuming that it's just my mind and senses focusing on our whereabouts.

Then a twig snaps as something hops out in front of us. We stop abruptly to observe the creature. A cute, fuzzy little bunny rabbit.

"Awhh" I step out from beside Xander, approaching it, but the boy grabs my wrist, holding me back.

"Don't." I turn to look at him, he's still staring down at the grey, furry animal, looking slightly concerned, but his gaze moves up as if that's where the bunny has moved. He pulls me back gently and steps in front of me.

I peek out from behind him, seeing just as-what used to be-a small, cute rabbit rematerialized into a towering, scary looking man. The shadows of the surrounding trees' leaves cast over his ominous hood.

"Well well, there you are, mirror prisoner. I see you've finally broken free" The man grumbles with a sly grin, the rest of his facial features hidden in the dark shadows of the black hood.

"Yes, sir. Someone actually useful decided to visit" Xander replies, I can hear the smirk in his remark.

"Now, if you wouldn't mind leaving us be, we'd like to carry on our journey out of here."

"How boring. I was hoping you'd willingly want to duel. I'm so terribly bored" The scraggly man complains, pulling out his wand.

"Would you mind if I-" I put my wand into his palm, stepping back, now panicking only slightly.

"Stupefy" Xander mutters, pointing the wand towards the scary man. Though he flicks his wand from his hip up to the opposite shoulder, easily deflecting the attempt to knock him unconscious. Instead he sends an unspoken spell back towards the two of us, but it seems to be aimed slightly to the side of Alexander. At me.

Xander blocks it.

My wrist starts burning intensely, I grip the bandaged limb, grinding my teeth as I hiss through the pressure.

I look up to see Juniper approaching the man from behind.

"NO!!! JUNIPER!!" I cry, but it's too late as I watch the snake spring at his leg, just as he's turning to see what I'm screaming at. The old man yells in pain as his leg collapses and he falls onto the slippery wooden planks of the walkway.

'He's going to die. My snake just murdered someone.'

He turns around, pointing his wand at Juniper and a green light bursts out and hit Juni right between his eyes.

'And he just murdered my snake."

Everything happened so quickly. In the span of ten seconds.

"NO!!!" I scream, sprinting towards the unmoving snake. Alexander is quick to use the disarming spell against bunny boy, his wand flinging from his weak grasp.

I'm fuming. How dare he? What the hell even is his problem? You don't just-ask strangers to fight as you walk past.

I pick up the limp snake gently and just... hold him... there's not much else I can do. This is infuriating.

"Tell me, Darling. Do you not wish to punish all of those who have dared to wrong you?" I recall Tom's words from yesterday.

'Yes.' I tremble with anger as I whip around to see the man still groaning in agony on the ground. I seeth with resentment at the sight.
I grab my wand from Xander, who now stood closer to us.

'He's going to die anyway' I lift my wand, slowly, hesitantly, yet so steady and sure as I taste the word in my mouth. I begin to smirk, only slightly, unnoticeably.

"Crucio."

=🌿=