Chapter 8

Looking at the button that was closed over the tip of her neck, Philia sighed. She knew that the fashion in the capital city tended to expose the collarbone, but she couldn't do that.

It was due to none other than the marks he had left on her neck. It was the first time she knew that kissing the neck left these red marks, and it was the first time she knew of the shame that followed.

Dressed in an understated light gray dress, Philia sat at the table and looked at Claude.

"I'm late."

Philia laughed bitterly. He was late because he overslept. How startled he was when he realized that he had put his arms on her body during his sleep.

Waking up with his arms removed, she burst into laughter as soon as she got up. She always thought he was perfect, but he seemed so human at that moment.

Thanks to this, the mood of the morning, which was almost embarrassing, was softened.

"The clothes look good on you."

"Thank you for the gift."

Claude grinned at the word 'gift'.

"Clothing is definitely one of the things that will be provided while you are here."

"Ah..."

"If it's a real 'gift', it should be a banquet dress."

Banquet dress. It was unimaginable. In fact, she had never even seen such a glamorous outfit in her life.

"A banquet dress?"

Was Philia's voice too high? Claude looked at her face and asked.

"Do you want to have one?"

"N-No! That's..."

Philia smiled sheepishly and shook her head. In fact, she was a commoner living in the countryside, and she wore only a priest's uniform every day. She saw the clothes of the nobles who came, but she did not find the clothes of those who visited the temple very flashy.

Just thinking of the festivities held at the Imperial Palace every ten years made her anxious, and she couldn't even see the clothes of the nobility there. She could barely tell that the colors were bright and splendid.

"That is... I just want to see it."

"......"

"It's embarrassing, but I've never really seen anything like that... I only know it's pretty..."

"Hmm."

"I don't go to banquets, and I heard from a maid that a dress like that is very heavy."

"......"

"And that they come in bright colors."

Still, Philia suddenly became worried. What the temple emphasized was asceticism. The teachings were full of rejecting any luxury. Wouldn't he be disappointed if he found out that she was interested in fancy clothes?

Philia didn't know exactly why this man was interested in her. Did he have feelings for the opposite sex in a normal manner? Did he want to covet a woman who was a 'saint', who was pure without having been touched by a man's hand? Or perhaps he was attracted to her body...?

"Cute."

"Pardon?"

Claude smiled and looked at Philia. Philia's cheeks were red.

"You want to wear it?"

"No! Not really!"

She didn't know if she actually wanted to wear it or not. She didn't think she would wear it anyway because one thing's for sure—all she wanted was to see one up close.