It Awakens

It was already getting a little late as Beta made his way back home, he ended up eating at a fast-food place like he always did. Despite him feeling more greasy than usual the food hit him in every good way. Walking through the streets at evening brought him a sense of comfort, the air was chillier and the clouds were colorful.

Wait, no - he actually meant that he hated it, of course. How could he enjoy something so stupid; like clouds changing color! He shook his head as he entered his dorm building again. His roommate was sitting on the living room couch as he entered their dorm, the two of them didn't exchange a look, let alone a greeting as Beta went straight for his room.

He remembered Fred and got a pang of slight happiness. He wondered if the plant finally opened up and spread its leaves now that it had lots of sunlight to eat from. He entered his room, closing the door behind himself, making his way towards his favorite decoration, kicking away cans of monster energy as he walked.

Aw, Fred didn't move an inch. Beta was honestly a little disappointed; but he had to stay positive and remember that he only had his new plant for a few hours now. It'll eventually wake up from its 'beauty sleep'. Beta's hand inched towards its surface again, he still had no idea what it really was.

As his hand gently felt around its almost teeth like leaves, he suddenly felt a sharp pain on his fingertip. He recoiled quickly, hissing in surprise, before he examined his finger - there was a little dot of blood on his skin, while a droplet of it ran down Fred. Ouch, it really was a cactus!

Now, Beta definitely went through worse when it came to cuts and blood, but damn, his little friend already had an attitude.

"Damn you little bitch." He stuck the finger into his mouth and sucked. The iron taste filled his mouth.

"....language." A voice hissed through the dorm. Beta froze and met eyes with the plant. No. That thing just did not talk. That would be insane.

"Did you just... no I'm not fucking crazy." Beta laughed.

"LANGUAGE!"

Beta backed away from the plant and fell over by tripping over a can. His heart was beating so loud he could hear it in his ears.

"... You , Fred, you can talk!?"

"...Fred?" the plant wiggled as sounds came out of it.

"I must be fucking high right now!"

A loud knock pounded on his door. His roommate.

"Beta, shut the fuck up!"

The plant now had noticeable eyes staring. Beta couldn't breathe. What the actual fuck?

"...I'm sorry," he hissed at the door. He wanted to open the door. Get up and drag his roommate in here to show him what he was hearing and seeing so he could prove he wasn't crazy. He couldn't move though. The eyes blinked at him.

"...Blood. Mmm," it grumbled.

Beta pushed himself to back away. The thing only watched him. Could it move? Minutes went by and it just continued to blink at him. It still was a plant, it couldn't walk over to him. He was safe. He hoped he was safe.

"You're a very... interesting looking human." It finally spoke up, breaking the silence. "I have never seen hair sprout out of your species like yours does." Fred seemed to wiggle very slowly as he looked around for a minute.

"What do you mean I'm interesting?! And excuse me, it's dyed. Many people dye their hair."

"Interesting." It continued looking around the room, even with the lack of features and facial expressions Beta could tell it was thinking what to say. "Interesting room, as well. I can barely see the floor."