Smoke

The dinner itself went by surprisingly okay. It was pretty silent compared to the usual loudness that the family carried but it was comfortable compared to the tension that started out. It also helped that the food itself was delicious.

"I never thought vegan food could be this good, Charlie. I may consider becoming one! You know I grow some vegetables in my garden?" Their mom said while patting her face with a napkin.

"That is so sweet!"

"And one day Charlie, we will have a house so you can have a garden as well." Alpha said, taking a sip of his drink.

"Aw, Al... " Charlie uttered, his cheeks reddened in embarrassment.

"That reminds me! We haven't gone around and said what we are thankful for like we usually do." Their mother said with a smile on her face.

"Oh, oh! I know!" Senpai said. "This wine!"

"Senpai, really?" Alpha scoffed, pinching his brow.

"Whaaattttt?" Senpai slurred.

"Well, as a mother, I am thankful to have all my boys here again. I know in recent years it has been hard for all of us to get together. That includes you Charlie."

Beta felt his heart soften at those words, but his mind grew a grim connection to the phone call he received in his drea- no, in the alternate timeline. The way his mother cried and begged him to return home with Senpai...

"Aw, thank you Mrs. C-Can I say what I am thankful for? Or it isn't my turn? Haha, I don't know how it works..."

"Sweetie, of course you can go." Mrs. Senpai smiled. Alpha nodded and put a hand on his shoulder as Charlie took in a shaky breath. Beta felt himself go warm inside. It was so nice right now.

"Well I am happy to be here. To be honest, n-not to bring down the mood, but for me, everyday is a blessing. I have been through a lot in my life you know? I am thankful to have Alpha. I am thankful to be part of this new family."

"I love that you are here too, Charlie. I know how hard it is to move from another country. I know first hand how silly America can be." Their mother gave him a sympathetic look.

"Haha, yeah." Charlie replied awkwardly.

Memories arose of how his mother told Beta stories about how she came here from Japan when she was a kid. He couldn't imagine doing that himself for anyone, ever. He shook his head slightly as memories of that weird pumpkin creature returned.

"Beta, do you want to go?" His mother asked, tearing him out of his thoughts.

He flinched.

"I don't know. There is a lot that I-"

"Can I go then?" Alpha piped up.

"Oh God," Beta said under his breath. It was tradition for Alpha for him to give a speech on what he was thankful for. Which was really all about how much he loved himself.

Alpha reached into his jean pocket to pull out a paper.

"OH MY GOD HE WROTE A LIST!" Senpai snorted.

"SENPAI, please!" Alpha said.

"HAHA, sorry!" His younger brother laughed, but his body language suggested that he was not sorry at all.

"Anyway! There is a lot I am thankful for. Why wouldn't I be thankful? I am Alpha Senpai. I think most of you probably know why that would be. But it is good to speak it out loud with my voice. First, of course we should all be thankful for the meal that we just had that our Lord has given us. I helped cook the vegan dishes, you know? It was a lot of work, but it came out amazing. Next I am proud of the brain I was given. Thank you mother. But yes, for my many years of law school, which I am almost done with. I am sure to be selected valedictorian. I love my school and the job I am working towards. I am sure to make a great amount of money. This money will provide for me and my amazing husband to be. Now, I don't even know where to begin with my Charlie. Now I wanted to go into the specifics of how we meet but Charlie himself told me that would be unnecessary as I practiced this speech today. You all know the story I hope. If you don't feel free to ask me personally. But, I will go into how amazing of a person Charlie is. He is beautiful - just look at those freckles! Do you know how many he has? Twenty-seven! And I appreciate all twenty-seven of them. Sun kisses, I swear. Charlie has taught me so much about myself and I love that. He is so kind. I cannot wait to be married to this man and spend the rest of my life with him. I know we can't be here all day. So I'll move on to my dear mother again. Thank you for making me. Thank you. Thank you. I am glad I can be so amazing so I can make you so proud. I promise you this is NOT the end of my greatness. Everyone loves me and there is nothing wrong with that. I will continue to make you proud just like I have made my father proud during the time he was alive. Bless my father's heart-"