Goodbye

Senpai threw his bag on the motel bed. This wasn't the plan. He knew it was possible but it was not the plan. At least this motel was cleaner than Beta's room. That was a positive.

It wasn't like he couldn't afford a motel for a few nights or even the plane ticket. Senpai had a full ride to his college, so money was never an issue. He still wished that he was with his brother right now. They didn't even have to talk about what was going on, they could have been watching some stupid show together like they used to.

In moments like this, he agreed with Alpha. Having complete control over others would make life easier. It was a horrible thought but Senpai felt like in this instance it was true. He just wanted to help him. Why couldn't he just get that?

A piercing ringing brought him out of his thoughts. He pulled the phone out of his back pocket. It was his mom...

She didn't even know he was here. He hoped she didn't know. He answered it. Ignoring it would just make her worry.

"Hey, my little sweetie-pie," her voice rang in his ear. "Sorry I haven't been able to call you in a few days. I have been swarmed with work."

"Hi, mom. It's okay." Senpai sighed.

"Is something wrong?"

"No! No!"

"Come on Sen, I am your mother. I know everything."

'That's clearly not the case,' he thought.

"I am fine."

"Did that date with that girl not go well?"

"It went fine!" He honestly forgot about that date with how much that has been going on.

"Is she a keeper? Should we invite her over for Thanksgiving? I have to see if she is good enough for my little Sen. Oh my god! You should invite her to be your date for your brother's wedding. I know they wanted something small but I am sure they wouldn't mind a plus one for you."

"Mom," Senpai groaned. "We only just met. I am not even sure I like her enough to see her again."

"You should give her a chance. First impressions shouldn't hold you back from getting to know someone."

That was an interesting piece of advice from her. Throughout his childhood, he would be taught that first impressions were everything. "I know mom I'll keep texting her and I'll update you on how I feel."

"Please! Also speaking of Alpha and his wedding, did you know that they picked hydrangeas as the main flowers? I know that it's apparently Charlie's favorite but Alpha should know better—"

Senpai spaced out as she ranted. He couldn't stop thinking of Beta. Maybe he shouldn't have accepted that acceptance letter to his school and went to the same school. Maybe he should have tried harder to get in contact throughout last year. Maybe things were too late.

"—Do you think Beta will change his mind about coming?"

"Huh?"

"Sen, are you even listening to me?"

"Yes! Why wouldn't he come?"

"When I talked to him about it he said he wouldn't be caught dead there. I don't even think Alpha has sent him an invitation. Maybe it's for the best, he lives far away and needs to focus on school."

"...I guess," Senpai said. He always imagined that during the wedding that all of them would get along, happy that one of them found the love of his life. "I would feel weird if Beta wasn't there. He is family."

"Hon, I don't think Beta wants us as his family... Even I feel hesitant to call him these days."

That hurt. It really did.