Prologue

The sun begins to rise.

The sky shot the thread of gold and red as the great yellow orb flooded the bright green foliage with morning light. Suddenly, a magnificent zebra flew across the landscape on a long green vine like a black and white Tarzan. He landed in a clearing surrounded by exotic tropical plants. He hit the ground running and headed for the edge of a chasm, where dozens of penguins flying in formation awaited them. At the edge of the chasm, the zebra didn't hesitate. Gathering his four legs beneath him, he jumped powerfully over it, sailing high in the air. He did a graceful forward roll and then another as his front hooves scrambled to grab the other side of the cliff.

He came up short. Tumbling over and over, he fell into the chasm. Then just in time, four penguins appeared and positioned themselves just under his hooves. Pumping their little wings, they flew him up and over to the other side. The zebra, with a nod of thanks to the penguins, continued on his journey across the jungle landscape.

Behind him, a powerful lion arose from some bushes, his eyes glinting. He raced silently after the zebra.

The zebra didn't notice the lion. He continued to run. As he approached a lake in which the glowing orange sun was reflected, he shook his head and glanced around him.

It was a beautiful day, the zebra thought, and things could only get better. After all, he was the most graceful, the fleetest, the most intelligent animal in the jungle. There was nothing he couldn't do. No situation he couldn't handle it. No predator who could take him by surprise.

The lion pounced at him. The lion ate the zebra from every limb, and pulled a juicy steak and licked it. He sees a wave of steaks cheering. Fat juicy steaks. And the biggest, fattest, juiciest steak of all was the zebra. Everywhere he looked, delicious steak was raining down around him.

But this was not about a lion who was a deluxe model hunting and eating machine who eats delicious steak every day. No. This is a story about her.