Chapter 24

The plane flapped its wings and flew smoothly across the sky. Inside the plane the humanoids were celebrating their escape. Alex, Gloria, Marty and Melman were singing a crazy song that was clearly driving Skipper crazy.

Misty looked above as the sunset shield below. She was really traveling Europe. She turned to Jewel.

Misty: We surely came along way, huh?

Jewel chirped with agreement. From the side, Kowalski lifted his clipboard.

Skipper: Kowalski, status report.

Kowalski: So the good news is this song is almost over.

Skipper: Well, that's music to my ears. And the bad news?

Kowalski: The gear assembly is badly damaged, sir.

As soon as he said that, the cotter pin, which is used to keep parts safely in place, fell out of the plane's main side. And if that wasn't bad enough the gear fell out.

Kowalski: lt's only a matter of time before...

But before Kowalski could finish, the plane spiraled out of control and crash landed in the middle of a train yard somewhere south of France. And of course, that was the second time they crash landed!

Melman: Why can't we ever just make a normal landing?

Alex: Oh, man.

Misty shook the dust out of her hair surveying the twisted metal that surrounded them. Gloria lumbered over to help Melman down from the wreckage. The chimps are fine but don't worry, they're not injured.

Gloria: Hold on, Melman. OK? I'll get you down, sweetie.

Mort staggered around with a pipe on his head.

Mort: Where is he? Must find King Julien. King Julien!

He spotted Julien, who was stumbling away from the wreckage and singing a very silly song.

King Julien: it's getting hot in here So take off all your fur l am getting so hot l want to take my fur off

Misty: You gotta be kidding me.

Jewel agreed.

Alex: Skipper, what about the plane?

Skipper: Well, the chimps will work through the night. No breaks, no safety restrictions.

But the chimps weren't listening to what Skipper was saying. They were leaving.

Skipper: Hey, where are you going? Get back here! We have a contract!

Mason: Yes. Well, I'm afraid labor laws are slightly more lenient in France. You see, they only have to work two weeks a year.

Skipper: Well, someone else has the Canadian work ethic!

Melman started to panic. Well, he was panicking before but he was panicking even more now.

Melman: But you penguins, you can still fix it, right? Right?

Alex: Yeah, yeah. You're a little crackerjack, can-do team.

Skipper: You want me to give it to you straight?

Alex: Yes! Yes! No. Bend it a little?

Skipper: Well, the plane's totaled. Kaput, blammo, busted! Never to fly again.

Misty: So it's completely damaged..

Misty drooped down with a glum look.

Gloria: So that's it? That's it then, we're never gonna get home?