Chapter 21

It was a beautiful day on the plains of Africa. The sun was shining and the birds were singing. And Misty was in the valley. She had changed since she came. Her hair began to grow and she became a young adult. Jewel was even prettier than her young form. She wore a goofy hat of berries up on her head with fresh seaweed on the basket hat. She and Misty travel through the area as she hears Marty's voice.

Marty: Happy birthday, pal!

Misty then looked up and saw that it was Alex's birthday today.

Misty: Oh man. I almost forgot it's Alex's birthday. Well, come along now, Jewel.

She ran off to the hill as she jumped between rocks. As she got close she saw a model of New York made out of mud and dirt. Gloria was dressed as the Statue of Liberty and Melman was a bridge that spanned from Long Island to Manhattan.

Alex: Wow! New York City.

Melman and Gloria: Surprise!

Alex: Gloria, you're the Statue of Liberty!

Gloria: Bring me your huddled masses, baby!

Alex: And Melman, you're the Brooklyn Bridge!

Melman: Actually, I'm the Triborough Bridge.

Misty: Wow. You guys made this?

Marty: Yep. From memory. From crazy, obsessive memory!

Like a little kid Alex ran right into the middle of the model. Marty, Gloria, Melman and Misty beamed, glad that their friend liked what they had created. Jewel giggled as Misty get her down on a mud model.

Alex: Hey! Fifth Avenue, with no traffic! There's Times Square with its modern-day corporate lack of character. Nine Duane Reades on the same street! And the zoo. Wow, our home.

Alex passed over the lifelike zoo and studied versions of himself and his friends in their enclosure.

Alex: Look! There's a little me! And little all of us-es!

Misty: If I was there, I could live here in my own circus someday.

She sighed happily as looked at the small zoo. She really knew everyone had to get home.

Alex: You guys. You've both made and ruined my day.

Trying to lighten the mood, Gloria pulled out Alex's birthday cake.

Gloria: Make a wish, sweetheart.

Alex shut his eyes, his tears nearly dowsing all the candles. He drew a breath and blow out the remaining candles just as the lemurs popped out of the cake.

King Julien: WHOA! Ta-Da! Your wish has come true!

Mort: Oh yay! My tummy is speaking to me!

King Julien: Uh, I wouldn't eat that side of the cake if I were you.

And with that, Gloria tossed the cake and the lemurs aside then.

Gloria: Alex, what was your wish?

Alex: I wish we could go home. I mean, don't get me wrong; I love this. But it's not the real thing.

Marty: Well, that's because it's a mud model, Alex. It's not actually New York. I hope that was clear.

Alex: What are we doing? Here we are relying on the penguins to come back for us. But... we should just go to Monte Carlo and get them!

Misty: Remember when Skipper said that they'll be in Monte Carlo in France? They must be gone for a long time.

Melman: How do a lion, a zebra, a white tiger, a giraffe, and a hippo walk into a casino in Monte Carlo?

Marty: I don't know. Ask the rabbi!

Melman: Hey, I'm serious.

Alex: Come on. We can do it! We can do anything! It's us!

Marty: We're us!

Alex: Yeah, that's right! We've gone halfway around the world. Compared with that, Monte Carlo's just a hop, skip, and a swim away!

Melman: Yeah!

Gloria: Hee hee!

Alex: To home.

The others agreed, raising their hands. Julien put in his cheer.

Marty: Home!

Melman: Home.

Gloria: Home.

King Julien: Cheeseburger!

Misty didn't know what to say but she and Jewel finally join in.

Misty: Home!

The herd said goodbye to all their friends and family in Africa. Although they were excited about the journey that lay ahead, they would miss everybody.

Alex: Tell you what, bet those penguins will be glad to see us.

Marty: Yeah, they're probably bored out of their minds!

Bored in Monte Carlo France? Clearly, the others had never been to the city. When they got there they would find out what a wild place Monte Carlo really was.

If one of the penguins and chimps had stopped his attics for a moment and looked out the window, he wouldn't have seen anything out there out of the ordinary. At least not yet.

Jewel poked her head out of the sea giggled as she swam up and down into the water like a dolphin. The city seemed quite huge. Misty rose her head above the water with a snorkel on her face. She removed it and looked above.

Misty: We had to be careful. This habitat is full of hunters.

Whenever Misty sees human beings around them they are called hunters. Usually it was not the right time to disguise right now. The rest of her friends followed.

Alex: Come on, guys. Operation Penguin Extraction does not include levity. We can't draw attention to ourselves. We're invisible! l'm talking really, really quiet.

And with that, they submerged under the still waters of the Mediterranean Sea. As soon as the snorkelers were gone, a swan shaped paddle boat moved across the water.

King Julien: Everybody dance now!

While Maurice and Julien were busy relaxing, poor little Mort was on the floor of the boat cranking the foot petals. Maurice turned on the music and then used a sparkler to light a bunch of fireworks.