Chapter 27

In the Rome police station, the officers unlocked Dubois' cell and entered inside.

Police #1: Captain Chantal Dubois. Get up. l'm going to have to send you back to Monaco under maximum security.

She didn't answer. The police officers took a closer look. For a moment, they lifted the covers of the bed up. It only revealed pillows in there.

Police #2: What?!

Police #1: lt's just a pillow!

Police #3: That's the oldest trick in the book, Comandante. Every bambino in ltaly knows that one.

Police #1: Maybe, but do they know about the old escape hole behind the innocent-looking poster?

He approached a mirror and ripped the poster away revealing that it was just a mirror that reads stupidio with strained lipstick on it.

Police #1: Or the really old "l'm gonna hide up on the ceiling" trick!

He lifted his gun up at the ceiling. No Dubois here.

Police #1: Of course. The secret tunnel under the bed!

He ducked down to reveal a whole under the dead.

Police #1: Get this thing out of the way. Let's go!

The three officers pushed the bed out of the way and jumped into the hole to check it out.

Police #2: This secret tunnel is a dead end! There's nothing but bed springs and mattress stuffing down here!

For a moment, they heard someone closing the door.

Police #1: Was that the sound of a cell door closing?

Then they heard something printing from the computer.

Police #1: Was that the sound of my HP printer printing?

Alex: This is a disaster!

Gloria: We blow all our money on a bad circus, and we're not any closer to New York!

Melman: lf anything, we're further away!

Gloria and Melman were right. The train is chugging its way through the alps, a long, long way from New York City.

Marty: We could have at least bought a circus that knew how to circus!

Skipper, who was listening to the conversation, turned to the penguins and said...

Skipper: l don't even know why we bought a circus in the first place. We had enough dough for a plane!

Misty sighed.

Misty: Oh boy.

Melman: Are you kidding me?

Gloria: You must have some money left over.

Skipper: l used it to buy teeth and then have them capped in gold. Now l can eat apples! Sadly, l discovered I don't like apples.

Marty, Alex, Melman, Gloria and Misty just shook their heads. Skipper was unbelievable. But they had to face the truth now. There was no way they were going to make it back home traveling with this circus.

Marty: No promoter is sending this show to America. lt's toe up!

Then out of nowhere, Stefano popped up in front of the window. Gloria, Melman and Marty didn't notice Stefano outside as they continued their conversation. 

Gloria: Now it all makes sense. No wonder the circus master was so happy to sell.

Marty: He was happy, all right. Happy about ripping us off!