Chapter 2

Minutes later, the humanoids raced through the jungle towards the music. Misty climbed from each tree following them without noticing that she was here.

Marty: I hear it now.

Gloria: Where there's music, there's people.

Alex: We'll go to the head honcho.

Melman: A sidewalk would be nice.

Gloria: Yeah, what a dump.

Alex rolled his eyes.

Alex: They should call it the San Di-lame-o Zoo. First they tell you, "Hey, we got this great open plan thing. Let animals run wild." Next thing you know, it's flowers in your hair and everybody's hugging everybody!

Marty: This place kind of grows on you. This way, guys! Come on!

The music was getting louder and louder. Misty and Jewel carefully jumped through the tops of the strongest tree branches making sure she won't get caught. She hopped over a gooey spider web and clawed down many thorns and branches on her way.

The humanoids were farther ahead, racing towards the source of the music, a giant twisted lit up baobab tree that towered over the jungle like a strange monument. They arrived at the source where they could hear clearly now.

Gloria: Okay, let's make a good impression on the people. Smiles, everyone. Let's get it together.

She turned to Melman.

Gloria: Is that the best you can do, Melman?

Melman: Oh, I'm not smiling. It's gas.

Gloria: Okay. Well, great. Let's make gas look good.

She turned and pulled back some leaves and vines. They peered cautiously into the clearing.

Large withering shadows danced across the backdrop of leaves, vines and brightly colored tropical flowers. But the shadows weren't made by people. They were made by a troop of small mouse-like creatures, dancing to the jungle beat.

Marty: Wow!

Gloria: It's not people. It's animals.

Melman: California animals. Dude.

Marty: This is like a Puffy party!

One of the mouse-like creatures, clearly a head honcho, leapt in the middle of the clearing and began to sing and dance to the beat.

Gloria: What kind of zoo is this?

Melman: I just saw twenty six blatant health code violations.

Marty: I'm loving San Diego. This place is off the chizain.

Melman: Twenty seven.

Marty just stared. He wiggled his tail as the music continued.

Marty: We should've brought chips and dip!

Gloria looked behind for a second. Alex was nowhere to be seen. She pulled Marty right back for a moment.

Gloria: Wait. Where's Alex? What happened to him? He was right behind us. Wasn't he right behind us?

Marty: I don't know where he's at, but he's missing one heck of a party.

Suddenly, the music stopped. Alex appeared behind, brushing the spider web out of his nose.. His mane was messed up.

Alex: Ech! I hate spiderwebs. Yeah, thanks a lot, guys. Thanks for waiting up. Really appreciate it.

He parted the curtains of foliage and peered out into the clearing. It was empty. Except for four weasel-like creatures, about forty five pounds of nasty weasel muscle, who were busy tossing a tiny mouse-like creature in a salad bowl.