Chapter 3

Misty was busy collecting fruit for the lemurs to get too. She and Jewel could see the beach awaiting them. The sun was going down and it was already dusk. A large wave washes though making the sand wet. Sometimes when an object washed ashore, she takes it home for something useful and something to practice her circus routine. She turned and saw the other humanoid animals.

Marty: Hey! A latrine. Nice work, Melman. Outdoor plumbing.

She could see that the giraffe humanoid was in a hole.

Alex: No, it's not a latrine. It's a grave! You sent Melman to his grave! Are you happy?

Marty: Aw, come on. This isn't the end. This is a whole new beginning. This could be the best that's ever happened to us.

Alex: No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. This is not the best thing that's ever happened to us!

Melman: Yeah! You abused the power of the birthday wish and brought this bad luck on all of us. So why'd you tell your wish? You're not supposed to do that.

Marty: Wait a minute. I didn't wanna tell you. Remember? You guys made me tell you.

Melman: Oh, OK.

Alex wasn't listening. He was busy drawing a line in the sand, dividing the position where Marty stood from the position where he and the others were standing.

Marty: Besides, this isn't bad luck. This is good luck. Look around. There's no fences, no schedule. This place is beautiful. Baby, we were born...

Alex: OK. OK. I've had enough of this. This is your side of the island, and this is our side of the island. That is the bad side, where you can prance and skip like a magical pixie horse and do whatever the heck you wanna do all day long. And this, this is the good side for those who love New York and care about going home.

Marty: Come on.

Marty tried to cross the line but the humanoid lion step forward.

Gloria: You know what? This isn't good.

Marty: OK! You all have your side, and I'll have mine. And if you need me, I'll be over here, on the fun side of the island, having a good old time!

He turned away and trotted across the sand singing.

Alex: That's not the fun side, this is the fun side! This is the fun side, where we'll have a great time surviving until we go home. Whoo! I love this side. This side's the best. That side stinks! You're on the Jersey side of this cesspool!

Melman: Well, now what do we do?

Alex: Don't worry, Melman. I have a plan to get us rescued.

As the night fell, Alex picked up pieces of wood on the beach for the structure he was building out of planks and palm trunks. He stared up at it.

Alex: Can't wait to see the look on Marty's face when he sees this.

Alex looked to see Marty building his own hut. He smiled smugly at the humanoid lion.

Alex: Ooh. Just look at him. He's helpless without us.

Misty started to gather up some logs and toss them onto the beach. Marty looked and saw the logs laying there. He looked back at the jungle and saw that someone had thrown them there for him. In the meantime, Misty knew she could head to the baobab tree before it gets dark. She picked Jewel up and headed into the jungle.

From the jungle, Misty started to place her fruit near her leaf made hut and started to join the other lemurs. She knew that there was a meeting up above the tree. The forest was full of light with fireflies glowing around the air. Wild lemurs squeak and call to come and follow them to the giant baobab tree from above. Misty started to take the route by climbing on the rope that was dangled from it's branches. She could see the breeze flow in her hair as she climbed.

Hours later, Alex was busy putting the finishing touches on his structure from high up some scaffolding. Below him on the beach, Melman was rubbing two sticks together, trying to make fire. Gloria posed like a statue while she held a tropical leaf.

Gloria: I've been standing here for hours, man. How long do I have to pose like this?

Alex: She is finito.

Gloria looked up and stared at what Alex had built. A thirty foot tall version of the statue of liberty, island style.

Alex: I defy any rescue boat within a million miles to miss this baby. When the moment is right, we will ignite the beacon of liberty and be rescued from this awful nightmare! What do you think? Pretty cool, huh? How's the liberty fire going, Melman?

Melman: Great. Idiot.

Alex: I heard that.

Melman: What's the use? I'm gonna die anyway.

Alex: If you're going to die, you could at least combust so the rest of us can get a fire out of the deal.

Across the beach, Marty was roasting mango marshmallows over a roaring campfire.

Melman: Ugh. Why can't we just borrow some of Marty's fire?

Alex: That's wildfire. We're not using wildfire on the Lady Liberty. Now, rub, Melman.

Melman: I've been doing... I can't. I can't. I can't do it. I ju... I can't do it!

With a smack of the sticks, they burst into flame. He realized that his boards were tied to his hands, and they were burning.

Melman: Ah. Oh, my... Ah! Oh! Fire! AAAAAAAHHHH!!! Get it off me!

Melman raced around the beach trying to douse the flames.

Alex: Not yet! No, no! No!

The frantic giraffe humanoid slammed into Alex's statue of liberty and set it on fire too. Alex was still stuck on top. The flames licked at the statue's skirts.

Gloria: Alex, jump! Don't worry, cats always land on their...

Alex jumped. He landed face first in the sand.

Gloria: Face? Man, what kind of cat are you?

Melman jammed his sticks into the sand putting them out. Alex stared at his burning monument in despair.

Alex: You maniac! You burned it up! Darn you! Darn you all to heck!

Melman: Can we go to the fun side now?