Chapter 11

A few minutes later, everyone exited the plane. They shook in fear, happy to be on solid ground. Melman was still wearing his oxygen mask. Misty carefully climbed out of the plane. She thought this was awesome. Jewel was still traumatized.

Gloria: What happened to the plane? What did y'all do to the plane?

Melman: [muffled] Is this thing even working?

Marty: I'm OK. I'm alive.

Melman: [muffled] Hey guys?

Gloria: I can't even sleep for a minute. You know what? This is not JFK. I don't think.

Alex: Wow.

Misty lifted her hoops and her bag up to see this. The grasslands around the wrecked plane stretched endlessly into a distance with strange trees and odd shrubs springing up on the horizon. The bright sunlight beamed down while a warm wind rustled the tops of the dry weeds around them.

Misty: At least we survived.

Skipper: Kowalski, casualty report.

Kowalski shifted a few beads around on his abacus,

Kowalski: Two passengers unaccounted for Skipper:.

Skipper:That's a number I can live with. Good landing, boys. Who says a penguin can't fly?

The penguin humanoids raised their hands and gave high fives around.

Alex: Hey, happy slappers! Is there some reason to celebrate? Look at the plane!

Skipper: We'll fix it.

Alex: Fix it? How are you gonna fix this?

Skipper: Grit, spit and a whole lot of duct tape. We should be up and running in, say, six to nine months.

Alex: Sixty-nine months?!

Skipper: No, six to nine months. Kowalski, I say we use this setback to our advantage.

Alex: Where'd you get that number?

Skipper: I want you to reconfigure the design.

Alex: How do you estimate that?

Skipper: Pretty boy! Why don't you and your friends dig a latrine. Maybe find water.

Alex: Hold on a second. Who made you king of the plane wreck?

Skipper: Excuse me? Fine. You can be in charge. You fix the plane.

Alex: Who gives you the authority to put me in charge?

Skipper: OK, then I'll remain in charge.

Alex: Yeah. That's right. You will remain in charge.

Skipper: You and your hippie friends stay out of our hair.

Alex: Correcto-mundo. Because I decided to.

Skipper: Good for you.

Alex: Well, this discussion isn't over.

Misty then begins to approach the penguins for a moment.

Misty: What else can I do?

Skipper: Huh, why you're a lucky tiger. Maybe you can help us by fixing the plane.

Misty cheered happily as she wiggled her tail.

Misty: You hear that, Jewel? We're going to fix the plane. I'll be back for you guys.

She then begins to join the others.

Skipper: Higher mammals! You stay with us. We could use your front cortexes and opposable thumbs.