Chapter 8

On the other side of the island, Marty was following Alex's trail through the jungle. Lightning flashed and a rumble of thunder split in silence. Marty looked up worriedly at the sky.

Marty: Alex! Come out, Alex! The boat's here! We can go home!

Marty continued on walking through the Fossa territory. Marty looked and saw Alex surrounded in a cave. Alex's clothing was all ruined and wreck after he traveled though the jungle. His mane was completely messed up and his eyes are still wide.  He made it himself, complete with wooden spikes, a moat, a small hut and a big rock. Marty ran up toward Alex who saw him. His claws snapped out with a scary clicking sound.

Marty: Alex! Alex.

The lion lunged at him. Marty stepped back in fright. He panted hardly as Marty looked at the crazed lion's eyes. Marty looked up with a fearful look before he calmed down. The humanoid lion's eyes dilated before he stepped back.

Alex: Marty?

Marty: Snap out of it, Alex. The boat came back. We can get out of here. We can go back to civilization, and everything will be just like it used to be.

Alex: Stay back. Please. I'm a monster.

Marty squeezed between the bars for a moment.

Marty: Alex, you're no monster. You're my friend. We're a team. You and me, remember?

Alex: I don't want to hurt you.

Then he slunk into his makeshift hut. Marty looked at him with a mournful look. He climbed through the bars and began to approach the hut.

Marty: Alex. I ain't leaving without you.

For a moment, Alex didn't answer. Marty begins to think for a moment as he sits down. He knew that he needed to make Alex remember.

Marty: Alex? I'm thinking of a song. It's a wonderful song. I'm sure you're familiar with it. Come on, you know the words. Two little words. Please don't make me sing this by myself. You really don't want to hear me sing this by myself.

Suddenly, Marty felt like he wasn't alone. It was the fossa closing in.

Marty: Uh, Alex? Could you come out here for a minute? Hey, Alex, a little help.

Marty leapt over a fossa and ran fast. The fossa snarled and raced after him.

Marty: Aah!! Help me! Alex! Help!

Marty ran through the jungle, the fossa close behind him. Ahead of him was a clearing. Gotta find a way out, he thought, desperately as he raced into a large canyon full of limestone formations. He gasped for breath as his feet pounded the rocky surface. The fossa loped behind him, easily keeping up.

Marty: Help me! Anybody, help me! Somebody! Ah! Help!

A fossa leaped lightly in front of Marty blocking his path. The exhausted humanoid zebra skidded to a halt and whirled around. He was surrounded. The fossa started to close in. A scream stopped the fossa in their tracks. Marty looked up. Melman swung toward him in a vine, legs flailing. He reached down and picked up Marty from the surprised fossa.

Marty: Melman?

Melman: That's right, baby.

They both hit on a rock flatten. Gloria picked the duo up as Misty grabbed their hand.