Chapter 23

Back in the front of the casino, Captain Dubois led her men through the smoke and destruction. A casino officer guard ran up to her.

Guard: Captain Dubois, l am so happy to see you! You will not believe...

She grabbed him by the collar and slapped him several times.

Dubois: Get back, you fool! Your cheap cologne is obscuring the animal musk!

Guard: Oh, my face!

Unapologetic about her behavior, Dubois just tossed the man aside, dropped to the pavement, and started sniffing like a dog. As she crawled across the road, she picked up the scent. One of her men leaned to look. After all, the men should have known to leave the captain alone while she was working.

Dubois: Poor, poor animals. You should never have left the forest. Now you deal with me.

As Captain Dubois was trying to pick up their scent, Misty and the zoosters were spun down the streets of Monte Carlo in the LARV.

Skipper: Kowalski, signal the chimps to meet us at the rendezvous point with the Super Plane. Hotel Ambassador. Let's move it!

Obediently, Kowalski pushed a button next to the radar display.

Melman: Woo-hoo!

Melman poked his head out of the window. He was clearly enjoying the ride until he hit a street sign. Suddenly, Melman picked up the sound of a siren.

Dubois: Voila. Giraffe at twelve o'clock.

Melman: Guys, we've got a tail.

Misty looked back and gasped.

King Julien: Paparazzi!

Skipper: Pedal to the metal, Private.

Immediately, Private threw his body on the gas pedal and Rico steered wildly trying to avoid the oncoming traffic. Julien, who thought photographers were pursuing them, opened up the back door and struck a pose. Seeing Julien hanging out the back door as just too good to be true for Dubois. She raised her gun and fired a tranquilizer dart.

King Julien: Don't take any photos, please! Hi! Here l am! Don't take... any... photos.

A dart hit Julien on the head. Then he collapsed.

Mort: No more pictures!

Misty: Medic!

Skipper pulled out the dart from Julien and inspected it. Jewel tried to spit water at Julien to wake him up, but it was no use.

Skipper: ETA to rendezvous point?

Kowalski: Two minutes, 37 seconds, sir.

Skipper: Man your battle stations!

Private and Rico left their driving part and manned their battle stations.

Alex: Hey! Wait! Nobody's at the wheel! Get back there! Negative on the driver! There's no driver!

Gloria: Help! Nobody's driving! Oh, no! We're going to die!

But no one listened to him as the vehicle veered to the side of the roar and sideswiped the parked cars. Now Marty Melman and Gloria were panicking too. Without a driver, they were sure to crash.

Skipper: Don't just sit there, fancy pants. Grab the wheel!

Alex: Are you kidding? l don't drive. l'm a New Yorker!

Marty: Move over, Miss Daisy!

Marty pushed to the front. He hopped into the driver's seat and hit the gas.