Chapter 17

As morning came, Misty was gathering some unique objects and continued on making them. She saw Alex training on a nest. He was still wearing the Hat of Shame.

Alex: Surprised to see me, Makunga? Well, I'm here to set things straight, like a real lion! Is this real enough for you? How about this? This is for setting me up! This is for stealing my dad's job! This is for humiliating my family! And making me look like a fool!

Just then a swarm of angry birds flew out of the nest and attacked him to the ground. Misty growl and let out a muffled squeak of a roar. And bites one of the bird's tails. They fled in all directions.

Alex: Had enough? Sure, fly away! Coward.

Misty: Tough time huh, Alex?

Alex: Yeah. How am I going to get back to the pride?

Misty: Oh, don't worry about it. I'll take Makunga down once the next lion battle shows up. After all, tigers are the biggest cats on earth.

Alex heard a piercing scream echo through the valley. He and Misty ran to the edge of the cliff and peered down.

Misty: What's going on?

Down at the water all, all the humanoid tribes gathered around the muddy flat area where the water used to be. The watering hole had gone dry.

Giraffe: The water. It's gone.

Giraffe 2: Oh no.

Hippo: The watering hole has never gone dry before.

Giraffe: We're gonna need a lot more dying holes.

Bobby: How could this happen?

All the animals muttered to each other, frightened about the disappearance of all their water. Makunga pushed through the crowd followed by Teetsi.

Makunga: Out of my way. Out of my way. What is going on here?!

Bobby: The watering hole's dried up! There's barely any water for one of us!

Makunga: Yes. Good observation, Shirley.

Bobby: I'm Bobby.

Giraffe: Makunga, what do we do?

Lioness: There ain't enough water for all of us!

For a second, Makunga's face showed how worried he was, but then he forced himself to appear in control.

Makunga: Listen up! I'm afraid there is only one solution to this horrible crisis. We'll all have to fight for it.

Hippo: Fight for it? We can't fight for it.

Ox: That's crazy.

Bobby: That's not fair. You and Teetsi win!

Makunga: Exactly, Shirley.

Bobby: I'm Bob...

He got kicked away as the animals gasped at Makunga's selfish behavior.

Makunga: Sorry, folks, but life isn't fair. I'm in charge now, thanks to Alakay, the dancing lion.

Timo: Please, Makunga, this is the only water on the reserve.

Makunga: If you're thirsty, you'll have to look for water off the reserve.

Animals: Off the reserve? It's too dangerous! Hunters would shoot us! No one leaves the reserve and survives!

Alex looked at the dry river bed and thought for a minute.

Alex: I left the reserve! And survived. I can do something about this. Looks like a clogged pipe, like we get in New York. I'll travel upriver...

Animals: Upriver? Off the reserve?

Makunga: You? HA!

Alex: Yeah. I'll unclog the pipe and bring back your water.

Makunga: Great! I'd help you pack, but by the looks of that hat, I see you're all set! [laughing]

Alex: Yeah. Fine. Go ahead, laugh. Laugh your mane off. I'll prove you wrong.

Misty: Good luck, Alex. And here, give this lucky necklace to Marty when you see him. We'll be able to recognized Marty.

She gave Alex a pretty orange amulet and thanked her. He then began to leave.

Makunga: Maybe you should try a little rain dance.

Makunga laughed hysterically as Alex left. Then one giraffe knew why Makunga was selfish.

Giraffe: Zuba would know what to do.

Many animals begin to agree and argue.

Giraffe 2: Where's Zuba?

Elephant: You don't care about us.

Hippo: Zuba should be in charge, not you.

Everyone all argued as well. Makunga turned to the crowd angrily.

Makunga: All right, fine! As an added measure, I will consult with Zuba!

Misty then grabbed him by the chest with one paw only.

Misty: Maybe you will, traitor.

Misty growled as Makunga backed away from Misty and left. She and Jewel knew they had to find water fast before dehydration.

Alex's had one stop to make first. The zebra grazing area in the tall grass near the border fence. There were hundreds of incidental zebras munching on grass. Alex wandered through the clearing searching for Marty but everyone around him looked the same.

Alex: Excuse me! Excuse me! Hi. Is Marty in there?

The zebra humanoid folks started calling for Marty among themselves.

Zebras: Marty? Anyone seen Marty? Which one of us is Marty?

Alex: All right. Well, if you see him, tell him his friend Alex came to say goodbye.

Zebras: Goodbye? Don't go. Where are you going? Can we come?

Alex: No. This is something I have to do this alone.

He walked over to the border and looked into the deep jungle on the other side. Then he took a deep breath and began to climb the fence.

Zebras: What are you doing!? You can't leave the reserve! Hunters are everywhere! Could you leave the hat?

Alex: Marty, look! I know you're in there. Before I go, I got something I want to say. You've been a great friend. You've helped me so often to see the bright side of my problems that I never think of you is having any. I wasn't there for you when you needed me. Just like back at the zoo. What kind of friend does that make me? A pretty lousy friend, I guess. Well I just want you to know that I... You're one in a million.

Zebra: This is touching. It is touching.

Alex: So could you turn around so I can tell you to your face?

The zebras begin to back away and then it reveals Marty. The one with the black and white Mohawk.

Alex: That's right. Gotcha! I see you in there! Yeah, you. You, right there. Twelfth row, two hundred and third from the left. That's you, Marty. I know it's you. Know what makes you special? These guys are white with black stripes. You're black with white stripes. You're a dreamer, Marty. Always have been. You have great taste in music and horrible taste in friends. Well, not Melman, Misty, Gloria, but me.

That's what Marty wants to hear.

Marty: OK, I'm in.

Alex: Marty, you can't come with me.

Marty: I don't believe you don't have a choice.

Alex gazed happily at his best friend and pressed his hand against his chest to calm his thumping heart. And then gave the amulet that MIsty had to him so he would recognize him. He hopped around the fence and the two friends headed into the jungle.

Zebras: People are out there! You're crazy! Come back! The people will get you! Don't lose the hat! Bye, hat!