Chapter 25

The humanoids and Circus humanoids sat in the train as it chugged toward Rome. The penguins took charge of the train, and they were having lots of fun.

As the train picked up speed, they pulled whistles and opened steam valves. Meanwhile, Jewel and the lemurs bounced along the train cars. Wanting to explore, Julien and the others jumped into a box car.

King Julien: Hey, this is not first class.

Maurice: Definitely coach.

As Jewel, Julien, Maurice and Mort walked around the car, they saw that the walls were covered in giant claw marks. Metal hooks dangled from the ceiling.

Mort: La la la la la la la...

King Julien: Mort! Stop it!

Mort: Hee-hee-hee-hee-hee-hee...

Jewel whimpered. She didn't like to see this happening... Suddenly, they stepped on something crunchy. Looking down, they saw fish bones and heads littering the floor. Screaming, they jumped back in fright. What kind of place is this?

Then they heard a low grumble and saw a pair of glowing red eyes in the corner of the car. Shaking in fear, Jewel and the lemur humanoids watched as a huge black bear emerged from the shadows. Jewel carefully picked up a fish head before she felt the bear's claws. She looked up and gasped. She whimpered as she shut her eyes, curling her body into a ball. She opened her eyes and saw the bear looking at her. Jewel whimpered but the bear sniffed her gently. But this wasn't any bear. It was a circus bear with a pink bow on her head. Instead of running away, Julien gazed at the massive beast.

King Julien: Hey, gorgeous. Has anyone ever told you that you look like a supermodel? Albeit a fat, hairy one who smells.

In response, the bear picked up Julien in her mouth. Then she pulled on the back and started to bob for fish.

Julien: You have a very hairy back. l like that in a woman.

The bear growled happily.

Inside the Colosseum of Rome, a big circus tent was set up. Customers line to buy their tickets, excited to see the show. Mason, who wore clown makeup and a fake nose, took the money and handed the people their tickets. A few were surprised at the ticket taker's hairy hands but this was the circus after all. Mason passed the money at work. Kowalski poured the money into Rico's bag and then took out rolled up bills.

Skipper: What a dump! lf they want to attract a decent sports team, they should bulldoze this rat trap and invest in a new arena.

As the chimps and penguins were working the sales, the larger humanoids strolled around backstage.

Alex: The Colosseum, Marty! The original theater-in-the-round. You know, my ancestors used to perform here.

Marty: No kidding!

Alex: Yeah. Every show had a captive audience. Apparently, they killed.

Marty: Sounds like a great gig!

Marty and Alex opened a curtain and continued walking through the backstage area, which was bustling with activity as the animals got ready for the show. All around them, the circus folk are putting their costumes up and warming up their act.

Stefano: Trenta minuti, everybody! Trenta minuti!

Marty: This is so exciting!

Alex: Remember, we just lay low. Stay out of the way. Let them do their thing.

Marty didn't answer Alex, he was too busy looking at a group of little terriers dressed in top hats and chiffon dresses.

Marty: Aw... Would you look at this? You gotta go back in your momma's belly, 'cause you're too cute to be out here in the real world.