Chapter 19

As the herd ran up to the site of the plane crash, Misty was amazed to see that the redesigned plane was almost complete but work on it had stopped. The monkeys were rolling around in a big mob in front of the plane holding up picket signs and reading UNFAIR TO PRIMATES and THE WORLD ISN'T BLACK AND WHITE. The chimps were on strike.

Mason: The plane won't be fixed until the suits meet our demands. Now, maternity leave.

Skipper: Maternity leave? You're all males.

Marty pushed his way though the angry monkeys and found the penguins Skipper and Kowalski seated at a table across from the chimps Mason and Phil. He hurried over to the table.

Misty: What's going on?

Marty: Look! We need that plane for a rescue mission.

Misty: Alex is in big trouble.

Skipper: Well, there's nothing I can do until we bust up this union.

Gloria slammed her fists on the table.

Gloria: I'm gonna get the bust up all of you if you don't get this plane going.

Skipper: Can't you see these commies have my hands tied here? No maternity leave.

Mason: Maybe a certain someone wouldn't want these blowing around on the savanna?

Mason pulled out a slim manila envelope. He slid it across the table to Skipper. Skipper opened it and removed a few photos. The photos showed him kissing the dancing hula doll. Skipper blushed. And everyone around the table looked down embarrassed. Misty isn't. She took the photos to hide the proof.

Skipper: All right. You get your maternity leave.

Marty: Finally.

The chimps all cheered and scrambled over to the plane quickly banging it into shape. Marty and the others smiled. They'd be done in no time.

Misty: I'll go scout ahead. Take Jewel.

She handed Jewel to them as she sprinted across the savanna ready to save Alex.

The people placed Alex on a split over a lit fire pit. Alex recognized the people now as the tourists Nana had been with in the truck. They looked very hungry. 

Alex: Where we headed? What's going on? Where are we going? Oh, no! Please! Don't put me there! No! This is wrong.

Nana: You see? You are survivors. Now, how about a nice lion casserole?

Cameraman: You can't eat a lion.

Nana: Don't worry, it tastes like chicken.

Alex: No, no, no. Don't listen to her. She's out of her mind, people! I'm from New York City too! It's me, Alex the lion! From Central Park!

Suddenly, a deep growl bellowed the camp. Zuba charged toward the campfire roaring, with a powerful leap he knocked Alex away from harm. Screaming tourists surrounded Alex and Zuba.

Alex: Dad!

Zuba clawed the vines binding Alex to free him.

Zuba: What were you thinking, son? You got no business being out here!

Zuba dropped down in a fighting stance.

Zuba: This is it. I want you to stay behind me.

Alex: No, Dad. They're New Yorkers. They're just rude and frightened people.

Extending his claws, Zuba prepared to pounce. Wide eyed, Alex took in a whole situation. His father was about to fight armed people and it was going to be bloody.