30

We got a letter from Sim, she's given birth to a healthy baby girl. Ubenathi Sandelwe. In the wee hours of Thursday morning. She was her fathers carbon copy just like her older brother all she's inherited from her mother was her pointy nose and dark complexion.

Sim was so old fashioned. She sent a hand written letter and two pictures one of Ubenathi and another with all of them.They looked so happy, my heart warmed at the sight. She grounded me, my calm in the midst of a storm. She slowed down my life in the best way possible. She had all the means to be a part of the population that communicated via phone calls, emails and social media but she preferred letters and when I was in Ntabenhle sending Onami over if she wanted a message sent. She only communicated via phone if it was a matter of life and death and it's a trait I admired in her, the patience.

The whole crew drove down to throw her a welcoming. We were on our 3rd stop thus far. We caught the eyes of everyone everywhere with the array of toddlers and pregnant women and cars which were insisted upon because everyone wanted to outdo each other with the gifts. I made sure to make a list so we wouldn't all gat the same thing but Yanda convinced the men that the father too deserved gifts at the birth of his child so everyone took their own cars to accommodate all this opulence.
His two best friends even came along Duma, with his fiancé and Wandile with his...lady friend. She was of an acquired taste and looked at the children like they grew an extra head if they spoke to her and complained when we stopped. It's a wonder Thobeka hasn't had a go at her yet. I pray we at the very least make it to Ntabenhle before she comes for her.

"I just want snacks Sibusiso! I promise not to shatter into pieces on my way to the cashier!" Zandi all but yelled at her husband. "Or you could go to the bathroom, which you were pestering me about for the past hour and tell me what you want and I'll get it for you!" He rebutted " Well I don't know yet what I'll want. I'll decide when I get to the store." He just sighed shaking his head. "Okay honey go ahead." He finally said giving up this fight he clearly wasn't going to win to begin with. "Yeyi, who will pay for all of it? This is your baby and the pair of you are driving me mad so there's no way I'm paying for that food." She said her hands on her hips shouting at Sibusiso. He just took her hand in his and led her to the one stop garage shop. How is this cut throat shark lawyer putty in my cousin's hands? It was comical and adorable to watch.

"Kids hold hands! We're going to the bathroom." Thobeka yelled and Danielle, Amy and Dave's daughter and Zanda held hands and Sisekelo and Nqoba Menzi and Fezeka and Siza and Njabulo's sons just looked at her. "You too boys. "But mana we're boys." Nqoba said confused. "Don't worry boys if anyone has a problem they'll talk to me." They just shrugged and held onto each other and she led them to the toilets after handing baby Khanya to her father. She was the strict yet fun one. It always took the rest of us ages to get them to listen but when she spoke things got done but she's also the one who'll give them sweets when they shouldn't be having any. The kids adored her.

We finally made it to Ntabenhle, an hour later than scheduled but at least we hadn't murdered each other which I think we should be commended for. Our car first had to stop in town to collect the food I'd ordered and Yanda bought heaps of meat, any excuse to braai this man will take . I knew we wouldn't have enough time to cook up a storm and have all the food ready in time for when she and Ubenathi will be discharged from the clinic and set up the gifts.

We'd just finished setting everything up. Her mom was here to help her with the baby for a bit so she let us in-and she wouldn't stop thanking us for what good friends we were for doing this for Sim. She called me aside and thanked me again refutedly and told me how Zanda and I were all her daughter and grandson talked about when she called and all I'd done for them. "Mama I was and am happy to help my friend. This village and myself woruldnt be as we are without her support. If anything she's the one that's been an amazing friend to me and I'll cherish her all my life. She hugged me one last time and wiped her tears just as Bab'Gumbi's van rattled its way to the gate and dropped off Sim and her family. Onami rushed to open the gate and let his mom and then his father and the baby in before he came in as well. Only then did he look up and his eyes scoped around before they landed Zanda. "Zanda!" "Onami!" They both yelled and ran towards each other and hugged. "You came back!" Onami exclaimed. Zanda nodded giggling. "Of course. You haven't replaced me have you?" She asked incredulously placing her hands in her hips. He shook his head smiling at her with eyes that showed emotion far more deeper than the elation of a 6 year old being reunited with his best friend. He opened his hand and she placed hers in his and they ran off probably to the cattle grazing in the distance.