10

Upon arrival at home I noticed that everyone's cars were scattered around the yard. My heart constricted in fear but I couldn't dwell on it. I'm sure Yanda and Nobuhle were here as well. I had a malicious sister wife to deal with so I couldn't wallow in my misfortunes. I hadn't seen her in 5 years. I made it a point to not be here when she was, which was not very often so when she was I went to visit my friends sometimes with Zanda or without. I balanced it out by visiting home twice a month and I took a leave when I could from work over school holidays. That way when I didn't come here no one would question it. Yanda always came home with or without his wife but we hardly interacted. I did my duties by laundering his clothes when he's here and dishing up for him at the dinner table because MaMhlongo ordered me to. I received a whole lecture on the roles I'm to fulfill in the absence of my sister wife.

I felt uncomfortable going into their house and changing his linen and cleaning the place but I did it or else MaMhlongo would have my neck. I always made sure he wasn't there and I took his sisters along and they kept me company.

I was brought back from reminiscing about my dysfunctional life by Yanda's siblings knocking on my windows. They opened my doors and started pulling out plastics and waking up a sleeping Zanda. "Hello my doctor ." Thembi greeted and engulfed me in a hug that lasted longer than normal and she wasn't as excited as she normally was and come to think of it none of them could keep eye contact with me. Their actions just intensified my fear.

When all of us happened to be home at the same time which was hardly now that we were all working we saw to our duties in the main house after exchanging greeting with the elders and we all slept in my house and all roles and titles were forgotten we played board games,watched movies, discussed controversial issues and topics, drank, vented, cried and shared secrets with each other which is how they know that I'm actually a Doctor and all about my life in Ntabenhle. I confided in them sobthey know not to tell anyone else.
Today though everyone just slept in their rooms.

Saturday morning after breakfast a child was sent to summon all the young wives to the main rondavel, where all meetings were held. When we got there all the elder women were gathered together. Velile, Noma, Yaliwe and I sat on one grass mat and kept our gazes on the ground as expected. "Bomakoti, tomorrow the Zubane family will be coming here to pay damages." I wonder for who because Thembi and Nothi haven't mentioned anything about any guys. My attention was brought back to the conversation when I heard Zanda's name.

They clearly weren't talking about my Zanda because the only child she had was Doc Mcstuffin. "Mama which Zanda is this?" Yaliwe asked. I saw my mother in law tear up at that question. "Zanda's mother. She died during child birth. Her and Zanda's father had been separated and she never told him about her. He learnt about her through a friend and now he's here to take her. I'd like for you to prepare enough lunch for tomorrow to accommodate them as well." All this time she was speaking my head was spinning and my anger grew.

"What's the matter with you all?! You all just take decisions on people's lives and decide their fate without consulting with them first."
I was livid. They all looked at me stunned. I'd never spoken like this before. I always have my head down like they say I'm supposed to.

"How could you take my child away from me?and not have the decency to talk to me aside? Am I not deserving of an explanation? Why are you depriving me of the right to come to terms with this decision? Is this the thank you I get?And I spoke before the aunt whose face soured as soon as I said my child. "And yes she is my child. I took her and I raised her when your children didn't want to accommodate her in their homes.How is it that now her father comes to claim her no one, no one tells me so. You're all inconsiderate and selfish! I yelled before I stood up and walked away and made my way to my house banged the door close and locked it. I didn't want to see any of them. I'm certain they knew and they didn't think to tell me.