17

Guess who now has half ownership of a practice?! It is Dr N Mkhize. I'm so happy and proud of myself. I just got off the phone with my mother. She is so proud of me. I could hear the pride and emotion in her voice. I was sitting in my empty office. It only had a desk, chair and telephone and a gold plaque with my name engraved in black on it.

It had been Mr Sithole's nephew who'd called the other day asking that we meet for lunch then as that'd be the only free time he had that week. I dropped everything and met up with him. He offered me the spot there and then. Which is how I'm here. My heart swelled at the sound of the drill outside. They were drilling the plaque with my name and qualification on the wall. I wanted someone to pinch me and tel me I wasn't dreaming.

Just as I was sitting there overwhelmed with emotion Zandi and Thobeka barricaded into my office. They're the only two of my cousins that live in Pretoria. "We hear congratulations ate in order!" Thobeka yelled placing the two gift bags she had in hand in the desk, pulled out a bottle of sparkling wine and polled the cork and poured us all a flute. Zandi came over to me and engulfed me in a tight hug. "Sindile is so proud of you." She whispered in my ear before giving me a peck on the cheek.

I felt warm tears sting my eyes but I wasn't allowed to wallow in my sorrows as Amy and Zikhona also bulldozed into my office with more gift bags and balloons. They all moved my desk to one end of the room and laid a blanket on the floor. They had food delivered from my favorite Mexican food place, Salsa Mexican Grill and we had a feast. They even had me drinking, during the day, on my first day.

"So how are things with Yanda now that you're living together?" Amy asked and all conversation ceased as everyshifted their attention to me. " We had a fall our after the dinner because that's when he found out about my being a doctor. I told him where to get off when he started acting like an entitled ass. We eventually had a talk about it and he apologized BUT in the middle of the conversation I got a call from Dr Sithole and yup!" I finished off in a small voice knowing a tongue lashing was coming up.

"Zonke the man was pouring his heart out to you and you saw it fit to pick up your phone then. If he's upset with you he has every right to be." Zandi scolded. "What would the point of me letting him in if Nobuhle's still in the picture?" I rebutted

"You've been living together for almost a month. He's been there all the time. If she was there. Do you think that'd be the case?" Thobeka asked and I shook my head no. "Mzala I love you but you're so oblivious and dense to matters of the heart. So here's what you'll do when you get home apologize for that." Zandi Ordered "What if..."  I attempted to ask but was  interrupted

"No quit living in the future. Be present and let yourself fall madly in love. Love, hurt, live and explore. You've had to be the nurturer always, now nurture yourself. Let go." Zikhona spoke and I felt the warm tears sting my eyes for the nth time today and I again I wasn't allowed to dwell on it.

"Speaking of presents, open mine first." Amy demanded in excitement shoving the gift Bach onto my lap. That is how the rest of my afternoon was spent, opening gifts from my people.

At the end of the day after the ladies had left I locked up my office and drove home. I was in a great mood but my mind was preoccupied with what The girls had all said. They were right.

When I entered the house I was greeted by delicious aromas. I pulled off my white coat and placed it along with my briefcase on the table along the wall as you enter the house and made my way to the kitchen where the aromas gravitated me to. "Hello." I greeted softly. I wasn't really sure how to approach him as I didn't know where we stood. "Hey! How was your first day at work?" I looked at him puzzled. "Mr Sithole told me. I would have appreciated hearing it from you though." He said flashing a sad smile at me and that had me sinking deeper in my sea of guilt.