39

The doorbell rang and Zanda was about to spring off her chair when we stopped her. " Zanda baby we first want to talk to everyone before they meet the baby okay. So let's wait a little while." She looked at her uncle a little puzzled before nodding in understanding. "Okay but I want them all to smell how pretty I smell." This one truly leaping off her chair and neither of us stopped her. Our people bulldozed their way in carrying various dishes one after the other with their young and before we knew it it was a full house.

The children all ran to the backyard after yelling their greeting and Zanda had them sniffing the spot on her shirt that I'd sprayed the perfume on. She wanted it on her wrists but I didn't want to potentially irritate her skin setting off her eczema.  "Where are your champagne flutes? I'm in desperate need of a mimosa." Siza asked. "Third cupboard from the one over the stove" Everyone wanted one , even the guys settled for that even though I know later they'd all disappear into Yanda's study and drown in whiskey and brandy and smoke cigars but for now I'd be grateful they kept it light for the duration of the brunch.

After a myriad of chaos with dietary requirements being flung, a trip to get a few ingredients and of course more alcohol and orange juice at it seemed mimosas were the drink of the day , sorting disputes between the kids , several tantrums later and threats and bribes here and there to get everyone moving everyone finally settled on the table set out in the patio with the kids table a little further in the backyard. The hustle and bustle continued with everyone teasing each other, catching up and having a good ole laugh. I missed them and all the chaos they come with. Thobeka was in the midst of reiterating an incident that happened, her hands rapidly flailing around that had Nothile,Zandi, Nathi and Manga doubling over in laughter. Most of the guys were listening to Njabulo tell another of his tall tales and most of them kept on signalling to each other and shaking their heads holding back laughter. "I swear man, that thing had the width of a tree trunk and the speed on it rivalled that of a cheetah. I don't know how we made it out that river alive,and the next day all of us had hives so bad we were bathed in 24l of milk each, I mean there was not a part of me that wasn't riddled in them, like up my balls and ass crack." He whistled shaking his head whilst the guys finally gave way and cracked in boisterous guffaws even tearing up. "You're so full of shit ndoda." Qophelo said they all began calming down. That was the order of the day until everyone finished eating and we were now gathered around the with my iPad at the centre where both sets of our parents and Simmy and her family stared back at us after we told them we had something important to tell them

"We have a son." Silence engulfed the whole table before Thobeka my beautiful cousin whose always ready to jump to conclusions and for a fight but also as loyal as a dog came to my defence. "Yanda you didn't cheat on my sister did you? Or worse yet have a child with that harlot ex wife of yours?" She asked her hands on either side of her plate clutching her cutlery. I would have laughed at her incredulity if everyone else didn't pose questioning , weary or somewhat angry looks as well.

"Thank God no!" I interrupted "Good for him because I'd help you gut then hide his body before I sat on a mattress and mourned his death." MaBhengu said and all the guys grimaced and the girls smiled in satisfaction giving their spouses pointed amused looks. " And I know for a fact she throws a mean punch, it's not worth it son." My whole face grew hot at bab'Hadebe's joke and I could have sworn my mom burst an artery from the look of shock in her eyes as everyone around the table threw questioning looks my way. "This I have to hear." Fezeka giggled and everyone nodded in agreement as I hid in Yanda's shoulder.

"Alright as we were saying," I was grateful for the diversion back to the conversation. "We adopted a son, well we're still dealing with the legalities but he's ours." There we're squeals of excitement and questions flying from the iPad and around the table, everyone trying to speak over each other. "Okay so the run down. We've been battling with fertility for the past months. We've lost a few babies and it's basically been one hell of a ride." I explained for the benefit of our friends and my cousins whom I hadn't told about our journey. Looks of empathy, guilt and accusation filtered through their eyes and I knew the summarised version of events wouldn't fly. There's be a definite revisit to this conversation in the near future but for now they sat and listened and I was grateful for that.