36

It's been a month since I came home and I'd say we're all getting better. We started attending therapy, we've had two sessions so far. We've sheduled two a month for now. Yanda was uncomfortable with conversing with the therapist, he still is but he opens up to me when we're given exercises , tasks and activities to do as a couple to improve on a certain aspect of our relationship. This week's exercise is to write a letter to each other about what we're insecure about and how we think that impacts our relationship.

I'm in my office trying to properly express myself in this piece of paper whilst waiting for my next patient. I scribbled down but reading it to myself made my skin crawl. I hurriedly scratched it off and tore off the paper and threw it in the bin. I'd write this when I get home. Right then I was interrupted by a knock, impeccable timing!

"Mr Buthelezi it looks like you have wax build up, you luckily won't be needing hearing aids just yet." He gave his wife a smug smile at my statement. "See nkosikazi you worry too much." She scoffed in response waving him off. "I'll give you ear drops, two drops in each ear every night for three days and then you must come back so we can remove it."

"What date, doctor?" Mrs Buthelezi asked. "She said three days from now nje!" Mr Buthelezi replied impatiently. "Cha! You'll be arguing with me when it's time to come back so I want her to tell us the exact date so I don't have to drag a stubborn mule out the house because maybe you'll listen to her!" His wife bit back. They were adorable to watch. Mrs Buthelezi pulled out her small note book, pen and reading glasses slipped them on and looked at me expectantly. "Today's the 10th so come back on the 14th." She noted the date down before they stood up to leave and I walked them out and handed our nurse, Lungile , the script so she could help them. I stood by the receptionist desk and watched them waddle out arguing about something else.

When they reached the door Mr Buthelezi held the door open for his wife and she walked out and he right after her and helped her down the steps and held her hand as they walked to their old Cressida where he proceeded to open her door for her, he said something to her which had her a blushing mess and a wide smile etched on his face as he closed her door and waddled to the drivers side and got in before they drove off. That has to be the sweetest thing I've seen all day.

It was 17:00 and it was Lungi's turn to lock up so I packed my stuff and headed to the hospital. Today was a Monday after payday weekend so the trauma unit was particularly busy so most hands were either there of the maternity ward. I would have preferred not to walk in the maternity ward but that's where a woman was wheeled in wailing in agony holding onto the paramedic's arm for dear life it's a wonder how he wasn't wailing with her because that seemed to be a tight grip. "Get it out!!!" She yelled crying. They wheeled her to the end of the room and I rushed to her aid. I closed the curtain that shielded her dignity form the next patient.

She pulled the head wrap on her head off and threw it into the distance, I asked to be handed a pair of scissors and  cut off her long skirt. A full head of hair was alright peaking out. "My a minute later and we'd have been in trouble. Okay mama I'm going to need you to push with all your might." She nodded the tears streaming down her face. "Hook her onto a drip please. Are you allergic to any medication?" She shook her head no and let out an ear piercing scream and pushed out a bouncy little boy. He too like mama screamed the ward walls down as soon as he slid out. I clamped and cut his umbilical cord wrapped him in a receiver and handed him to his mother she held him with help from a nurse whilst I cleaned her up and got her stitched, she tore a bit.

After that she was still crying and her cries still appeared hysterical unlike those of a mother relieved to give birth to a healthy baby. "Take the baby away. Someone hand me a sedative." They handed my a syringe. "Please don't tell him, whatever you do don't tell him!" I looked at her and nodded only then did she relax and removed her hand from my arm and let me inject her. She soon dosed off. After her delivery I reported to my usual station the  geezers ward and they were happy to see me, well the ones who were chronic patients and were always here,the rest were new and had bandages or had limbs wrapped in plaster, I'm guessing they're the trauma patients.