33

My parents fell back into their routines now that they knew I'd be alright and they need not dote over me. Mama was in her flower garden and dad said something about tending to his cows, which meant watching over the herdsmen tending to them and watch them trip over themselves ensuring everything is done right now that their boss was watching over them so closely and he'd walked to the kraals so I was surprised when I heard a car drive in. "Who could that be?" I wondered to myself adjusting the temperature on my preheated ovens,wiped my hands clean before going to see who was at outside. "Mama someone's at the door!" I yelled as I opened the door just as Yanda was about to knock. The sight of him made my heart soar. I'd missed my man. I'd missed him so much. " I missed you." I said already chocking on sobs. He opened his arms and I tumbled into them and the warm familiar feel of his embrace seemed to make all my problems feel minuscule. " I missed you too my love. More than you'll know." I reluctantly moved away from him caressing his cheek. My eyes darting to every part of him. Trying to both engrave his every feature into my mind and review if any harm had come to him in the month we'd been apart.

He looked like a man with the worlds troubles weighing heavy on his shoulders and in a sense I guess he was. He carried the losses of our children all on his own , wasn't given the chance to mourn them. I deprived him of that when I shut him out and fled home without so much as a word to assure him of my safety or updates on my health sure I left a sticky note. A sticky note? It sounded ridiculous now that I thought back to it. I'd been selfish and I regret it so much. "I'm so.." he gently shook his head and smiled at me. "Baby not now, please. Now I just want to kiss you." He whispered pulling me in for a kiss. And just like always it filled in the empty gaps, the words left unsaid, the love unprofessed, the apologies dismissed at the preservation of pride , aided the aches and took away all my sorrows. I swear to the heaven if we weren't under my father's roof I'd make sweet love to him but I'd behave.

"God what I'd give to have you beneath me, hearing your sweet mewls of pleasure as I pounded into you right now." He growled  pressing me even closer to him so I'd feel his erection. "Soon baby but now come help me cook. I wasn't sure whether to make steak or chicken. Please help me decide." I asked taking his hand in mine and leading him to the kitchen. " Do you want something to eat or would you like to rest first. I was so excited to see you I forgot that you drove 8 hours to get here. How inconsiderate of me." He held onto my hand and pulled me away from the fridge into his hold and whisked me onto the counter. If mama saw me on her counter I'd get an earful.

"I'm not letting you out of my sight for a long while Mrs Hadebe so yes I'd like something to eat but I'm not leaving this kitchen if it's not with you. I've been without you long enough." My sweet charmer. " Very well then please put me down so I can make you something to eat. I said smiling brightly at him. " Not before I get my kiss." He mumbled drawing closer to my lips and capturing them in a mind dizzying kiss. We both reluctantly pulled away and he got me off of MaMtungwa's kitchen counter. " There's an apron behind that door. Wash your hands and please chop the veggies for me."

"Yes ma'am!" He replied teasing me yet dutifully pulling on the apron and washing his big hands under the gentle pressure of the water still smiling up at me. His eyes never leaving me. I felt his gaze follow me around the kitchen " It's rude to stare Hadebe." I muttered although the smile fought its way through despite my efforts to keep a straight face. "I don't think that applies if I'm staring at my gorgeous wife." He scoffed a suggestive smile on his face making me blush. Would we get anywhere if he kept on distracting me. " Please chop the veggies!" I instructed even though he had a knife and sweet potato in hand.

We worked in silence, a comfortable silence. There was so much we should say to fill the silence. Answer unanswered questions, correct assumptions drawn from words unsaid and assurances not offered. Apologies unsaid but the silence whilst cooking supper with my husband in my mother's kitchen was my first happy memory after a sea of pain and heartache so I knew then in that moment that , that would be a memory I wanted untainted and would treasure all my days.