15

We walked out of the car and posed for a picture after he'd handed the valet the car keys. The feel of his hand across my waist was again warm yet unfamiliar. An unfamiliar jolt of electricity fueled me making every fiber in my body aware of his presence besides me. I wasn't all too sure what this feeling meant but I was sure that I didn't like it one bit. I did truly hope he wouldn't be so close to me through out the night. I wasn't sure my heart could take it. But as fate would have it stay on my waist it did as he helped me meander in between tables to get to ours. I saw a couple of familiar faces but chose to not act to familiar with them Incase they didn't recognize me but one of them did.

Mr Khumalo. "Awu Khabazela is that you?" He asked in his loud hoarse boisterous voice. "Yes baba it's me." He looked around his colleagues around the table and I knew he was about to break out in a tale. "You son have an amazing wife on your hands. If I wasn't so old I would have taken her for myself." He jested earning a playful shove from his wife. "Jobe I met this young doctor in one of my conferences in KZN 5 years ago. She was the only woman among men. She was fighting for development for the village she lives in. They all tried hard to tilt her over but my word did she leave them in the dust. In that moment I was glad not to be Hadebe there because I know he never wins an argument with that spirited mare." The whole table broke out in laughter including my husband. Not once did I dare look at him since we got seated.

"Anyways how is it going there Ndodakazi?" Mr Khumalo asked and suddenly all eyes were on me including Yanda's. I could feel his stare drill a hole on the side of my face but I pretended he wasn't there and looked everywhere else but at him. " We now have electricity, tar roads, proper water supplies, a primary school and a clinic where me and 4 other doctors work. We have 10 nurses and 10 grounds staff. Quite a few young ladies went off to Medusa to study various career paths in health sciences, can't say I didn't steer their thoughts in that direction." I jested and we all shared a laugh.

I was suddenly more comfortable and started telling them all about Ntabenhle and it's beauty. "Now we were working on the construction of a high school. We've gotten support from companies such as Van Rooyen stationeries, Mathew's IT corp, Zulu construction and electrics and Ncube's plumbing. Those are the ones we singled out. The rest just offered their services which were grateful for we can use all the help we can get. The government is needed to pay wages to the builders." I finished and even the snobbish lady who'd been giving me the stink eye looked at me in awe.

"So are you thinking of specializing?" Mrs Khumalo asked. "Yes mama but I'm not sure in what yet. I thought of pediatrics with focus in neonates but then child psychiatry and cardiology have also peaked my interest." I replied smiling at her as she listened attentively to me. "Have you moved here permanently or are you just visiting your husband?" Mr Sithole asked. "I've moved here baba." I answered. "Oh great then. This is my business card. My nephew's just opened a surgery and he's looking for a partner to run it with. Give me a ring and I'll set up a meeting between you two. That's if you haven't received a better offer elsewhere." I thanked him accepting the card and slipped it into my clutch. "So far not yet baba. The move was an impulsive decision." I replied chuckling. " You could not stand to be away from your love for long. It's understandable." Mrs Khumalo jested and everyone awwwed. Yanda then pulled me in and placed a kiss on my temple. I didn't even have it in me to be mad at his pretense with all the feelings swarming in my heart at the moment.

The attention was soon off me and everyone began networking and after the main course was served everyone started moving around including Yanda and I was left sitting there bored out of my mind. I was about to take out my phone when someone tapped me on my shoulder. When I turned I was met with Melikhaya standing with his arms open wide. I let out a shriek before jumping off that chair and threw myself at him. "Hello you!" I greeted in excitement. " Hello Dinkie." He replied just as excited.

Melikhaya and I had grown up together. He was one of my neighbors. We even went to the same University. "What are you doing here?" I asked taking him in. He looked different from the boy I'd grown up swimming in the river with. If you'd asked me whether he's the same boy we'd run away with from Bab'Khoza, who'd chase us for stealing his Mangoes I'd say definitely not. "I'm here as one of the representatives of the firm, I work for Hadebe holdings. You?"

"I'm here with my husband. Yanda Hadebe." We both then looked at each other and it made sense but his face soon morphed into one of confusion. " I know, let's meet up sometime and I'll tell you all about my joke of a life." I grumbled rolling my eyes. Just then Yanda showed up out of no where. He has his stone face on. "Hello Mr Khubone." He gritted out through his teeth. I wonder what's his problem now. "Mr Hadebe. I was just saying hi to Din...Mrs Hadebe. We grew up together." His arm that had been around my shoulder slowly slid off and he took two steps back. "I'll see you Dinkie. Call me." I nodded waving at him.

"Come on we're leaving." He grumbled placing his arm across my waist and then we proceeded to parade around the whole room saying goodbye to half of the room. "You could have done this without me." I muttered under my breath. "Yeah and leave you to hang off every man's arm as soon as I turn my back. Not a chance." He scoffed back. I felt my blood boil. I made to move away from his hold but he gently yet firmly held on to me. This man is begging me to blow a gasket. We said goodbye to one more couple then we left.

The ride home was filled with a pregnant silence. It was evident the pair of us had a lot to say to the other but I was waiting for him to come at me. We got home and I got out as he was opening the door to the garage and went inside through the front door. I unbuckled my heels and threw them somewhere in the foyer. I made my way into the kitchen and got myself a glass of water with the hopes that it'd calm me down along with quenching my thirst. I heard the door that enters the kitchen bang and the sound echoed into the silence.

"What was that?!" He roared. I held onto the counter and slowly turned to face him. "What was what?" I calmly asked folding my arms and looking him dead in the eye. "You didn't tell me you're a doctor and everything else in between. I looked like an idiot before my colleagues and What's the deal with Melikhaya?"

"You don't want to pick this fight. We'll be here all night if you do." I replied chuckling. I tried making my way out but he blocked my way. "Talk! Now!" He demanded. "Yanda! DO NOT PATRONIZE ME!" I yelled. "You and your wife dropped me off in the middle of no where. In a goddamn dilapidated house with a child with an allowance of R5000. I don't know how you expected me and a child to live off that much. You've barely spoken to me in the 5 years we've been married let alone visit. I doubt you'd even be able to find your way there if you had to now. You didn't want to be associated with the illiterate village girl. Now don't come at me barking about how you don't know details about me and my life that you'd know if you wanted to. What Melikhaya is to me is none of your business but if you must know he's a damn friend. I don't know where your wife, who you let treat me like gum beneath her shoe, is but you don't see me poking my nose in your business asking about her."

I took another generous gulp of my water and chucked the glass in the sink and it shattered but I didn't care to look I just rushed out of there and into my room away from that hypocritical, infuriating man. He could stay there and argue with his damn self!