18

"It's nothing to be ashamed of. I'm glad you decided to see a doctor instead of going to a back door abortion clinic. Firstly I want you to understand that there are other options aside from abortion." The fear and panic resurfaced on he face.

"Doctor no! I can't, I won't keep this baby. I'm sixteen. My parents will kill me. I'm terminating this pregnancy." She said all in one breath. "Alright if you're sure that's what you want to do I'll refer you to an abortion clinic but first we'll talk about being responsible when having sex. Are you on contraceptives?" She shook her head no before looking away in shame.

"That is not very responsible of you and your partner. It is important that you two use two forms of contraceptives at a time. A condom being one of them and you have various forms of contraceptives you can choose from to avoid any other unwanted pregnancies." I took out a pamphlet and put it before is facing her. You can either take the pill, go on the injection, a hormone patch or an implant. I'd advice you to go on the pill at you age because that has the closest hormone levels to someone your age. "Should I write you a prescription?" I asked and she nodded. I pulled out my prescription pad and wrote her a 6 month prescription for the pill. I then wrote her a referral letter to Marie Stopes and stamped them both before slipping them into an envelope.

"Miss Daniels please be more careful ,good luck and I'll see you again in 6 months for your next prescription." I said as we both stood up and I walked her out. I took the next patients file from Mr Xulu's desk. He's our receptionist. "T Ndaba! I said and a mom and her child stood up. The little boy cling onto his mom for dear life. I could tell he's not very fond of doctors visits.

I have two consultation rooms, I led them to the second one and his eyes lit up at the sight of the wallpaper with cartoon characters on it. It went from paw patrol ,doc mcstuffin ,Sofia the first ,Peppa pig, Thomas and friends, PJ masks and minions to name a few. Two walls had cartoons that appealed to 1-6 year olds and two to the older kids. He looked more comfortable when his mom placed him on the bed.
"Look mama PJ masks!" He whispered to his mom before he broke into a fit of coughs his mom and I both laughed. "Good day Mrs Ndaba what brings you two here today?" I asked looking up from Thabiso's file. "Someone  seems to be sick." She said rubbing his back. "Hello young man, what's your name?" I asked smiling at him. "My name is Thabiso. I'm 4" he stated proudly holding up three fingers. His mom and I shared a laugh yet again. "Wow! Really? You're a big boy." He nodded smiling proudly at me. Okay I need you to take a deep breath for me. I said placing the stethoscope on his chest. His chest sounded tight.

" I will put him on a nebulizer for a few minutes ,then an injection and I'll write you a prescription. Our strong boy here seems to have the flu. Will there be anything else ma'am?" I asked looking back at her as I was setting up the nebulizer. "No thank you doctor that'll be all." She replied I nodded and then put Thabiso on the Nebulizer before walking out to get the injection and my prescription pad. I wrote down the prescription stamped it and then handed it to his mom.

"Thabiso. You're going to get an injection." His eyes welled up at the mention of an injection "Hey big, strong boys don't cry. Don't you want to be brave like Gekko, Owlette and Catboy?" That seemed to help us because he nodded and quickly wiped off his tears. He then lay on his tummy and shut his eyes tight. It was over in a minute and he just flinched. "Good boy! Give me a high five!" He giggled reaching out his tiny hand to give me a high five. "Mamma don't you think brave Thabiso deserves a kiss?" I asked and he shied away making his mom and I both laugh. "He says his a big boy and doesn't like kisses anymore." His mom said pretending to be sad. "Look Thabiso mama's sad. If you give her a kiss she'll be happy. No one will see you I promise." He crawled over to his mom and placed a peck on her cheek. He tried to make a quick getaway but his mom caught him and smothered him in kisses causing his laughter to echo in the room.

I was now walking them out whilst talking to Thabiso's mom. "You're a great doctor, you're even better with kids. I'll definitely recommend you to my family and friends." That made my heart soar. "Thank you Mrs Ndaba. I'm only doing my job." I replied and our chat was cut short my a call. I walked back into my office to answer it. We were being summoned back home. There was going to be a traditional ceremony of sorts and the whole family needed to be there.

I left work 30 min before we close so that I can pack and I know that man won't leave that office unless I drag him out  he's such a workaholic. I also wanted to quickly cook something because that man will only eat take out when he absolutely has to, he prefers home cooked meals. I get home and pack a weekend bag for each of us. I just put our toiletries in one toiletry bag because I couldn't find his. Does he even have one? I made a mental note to buy it sometime, hopefully on the way home because we don't share a room so it'd be inconvenient to have our toiletries in one bag. I made mash , veggies and threw a few pieces of chicken in the oven after I marinated them.

When the food was ready I picked it up in three containers and packed it along with a bottle of juice in a cooler bag. I then went around the house locking all the doors and checked in the kitchen whether there wasn't food in the cupboards that'd spoil over the weekend. I then locked the door, put the suitcases in the boot and then drove to Yanda's office. I had to look up directions to get there because I'd never been there.

I got there and parked outside the premises and admired the skyscraper as I waited for Yanda to answer his phone. "Good evening wife!" He greeted. His words made me smile to myself like a love struck teenager.He seemed like he was in a good mood. "Hello husband, I'm guessing you must have heard about our summons back home." He grumbled before agreeing. "I was hoping we'd leave tonight." He said and it sounded as if he was typing on his computer. "Nope we're leaving now. I'm outside." I replied "Outside where?" My poor husband can be daft though. "Outside the firm. Come I'm waiting!" I told him and then dropped the call laughing to myself. After 15 min I heard knocking on my window.

"Hey." I greeted yet again lowering my window taking in his scent. It was so intoxicating. He looked yummy in his brown suit with a crisp white shirt. I wanted to jump him right then and there. He cleared his throat not so discreetly bringing me back to earth. He had a smug smile all over his face that he wiped off as soon as I side eyed him but he still laughed at me. I was a little embarrassed to be caught staring at him. So I began talking to shift the attention away from me. "I think we should take my car since I already packed our bags in it. You can leave yours here. You'll get it on Monday. He nodded and you could see an outline of a smile on his lips. I didn't want to know what he was gloating about now.

He opened out his palm and I looked from it to him in question. "The keys!" He stated like it's the most obvious thing in the world. "No I'll drive and I'll hand it over to you when I'm tired." I replied with stubbornness "No I'm here you can rest. I'll drive." He said back just as stubborn.

"I guess I'll eat up all your food then." I said and he immediately walked over to the passenger seat. Now it was my turn to gloat. He put his briefcase and laptop bag at the back and reached over for the cooler bag, took out the containers and started eating from them totally disregarding me and the plate I packed. I shook my head in disbelief then started the drive leading home.