Chapter Five

Justin

Jazmyn tapped my shoulder.

Turning around, I bowed my head to reach her gaze. She held her book Anna and the French Kiss under her arm. In her bag behind her – somewhat similar to Coke Girl's – I was adamantly certain that she had the sequel to that book in there. She had been badgering on about it last night in my room when Mom went out. She didn't come back until the early hours of the morning. Mom was called Pattie.

"Mom said we need to get home as soon as possible after school," said Jazmyn. "She said she's going out tonight to... to..." She grimaced, contorting up her face. "Bone Mike." By the look on Jazmyn's face, I knew it pained her to say that. "So we need to be home early."

"She said that?" I replied, both aghast and disgusted she'd say that to Jazmyn who was not only the youngest, but the most innocent and naïve girl. "How could she?"

"You won't leave without me, will you?" she questioned coyly.

A part of Jazmyn reminded me of Coke Girl. Both talked quietly, but Coke Girl did talk less than Jaz. I wouldn't be surprised if she couldn't hold a full discussion with someone. I wonder what she was like to her parents because I've seen the way she "engages" in conversation with her two best friends. Both of them are the complete contradictory of Coke Girl.

"No, I'll wait for you at the end of the day, alright? By the gates."

Jazmyn nodded before peering around my side and behind me. She turned back to me and scratched her hair near her bow. "The girl you were conversing with left."

"Wait, what?"

Unsurprisingly, when I shot around, Coke Girl was scurrying off down the corridor, out of sight. I exhaled deeply, my chest deflating as I watched her turn a corner. I turned back to Jazmyn who was staring at me repentantly. "Sorry," she said. "I shouldn't have come up to talk to you."

"No, it's fine, Jaz. I've got your back, okay?"

"Thanks, Justin."

Jazmyn went off in the matching direction as Coke Girl so I began to amble to where Ryan and Chaz were, unknowingly deciphering when the next time I could talk to Coke Girl would be. I've known her since... uh, a long time, I guess. We've both been born here and we've never moved houses. It's only been this year where I really noticed her. Well, she's trapped in this trembling ambiguity ball and she's crying out to be rescued.

After lunch it was time for P.E. and both the girls and boys would be amalgamating with one another. We were all separated into groups and we turned round clockwise to another activity. There was badminton, table tennis, a small volleyball game etcetera inside the sports hall. Some people went into the actual fitness gym upstairs. That included Ryan, Chaz and I.

Running on the treadmills, we have a flawless view of the entire sports hall. That also meant we had a good view of where Coke Girl was at all times. I should probably cease calling her Coke Girl and her actual name which is Juliet, I mused. Then again, I was a lot harsher than I thought I was but I guess that just comes from years of sticking up for Jazmyn and I against our mom.

"She doesn't know much about sport," commented Chaz.

Neither Ryan nor I had to enquire him who he was muttering on about. But he did have a point. She was there in the middle of a group, detached from her friends and looking more alone than ever. Most of the people in her group were tall and some were even jocks which meant that they wouldn't put up with her lower capability in sports. She just needs someone to toughen her up.

"You know, you should date her, Justin," said Ryan. "Like those bets they do. We'll give you money if you date her."

"No," I said firmly, slowing down my running on the treadmill so I could talk freely to the two lazy-bones who were walking to my right. "We'll end up dating and then one of you will spill and tell her and even though I'll get the money, she'll find out, she'll hate me and wham, we're over. And then suddenly, a month down the line or whatever, we'll get back together. It's all the same and I'd rather not spend my senior year like that."