Chapter Sixty-Eight

Juliet

Doctor Klein said, "I think the elation from the charity event seemed to prolong what would have have happened. If anything, it has not worsened your state, Juliet."

And so consequentially, once a nurse had made her visit to our home and surveying my health status, she had demanded I had gone to the hospital immediately. Initially I felt fine once she was there, but when she gave me that instruction, it felt almost mechanical to feel worse. I was nervous and anxious, my stomach was churning and I had no idea what to expect. I knew what was going to happen in perhaps a few weeks' time, but for this day, I didn't.

I had called Justin, but he was out on a meal with his family because his dad had come up to celebrate our earnings for Heeling Hearts Foundation.

"I can't leave early, but as soon as we're finished, I'll be at the hospital, okay? I promise."

It wasn't until I got to the hospital and after Doctor Klein had done his routine check, he said, "You have a few weeks left, Juliet. A month at the most, I predict. It's all going to go downhill from here. Your appetite will go and you'll begin to deteriorate... you know that, don't you?"

Glumly, I swallowed down the arising lump in my throat as I nodded.

He also said, "If you hadn't been so happy about the charity event, you'd be bed-ridden already. Right now, we know the inevitable, and as much as we're sorry, we can't do anything about it."

My dad had tears streaking down his cheeks as Doctor Klein filled us in. "You can't do anything, Doctor? I can't lose her! I've lost two girls in my life already, I can't lose another one!"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Royal. There is simply nothing we can do. If you'd like to sit outside and calm down, that would be appreciated. Additional stress on Juliet won't help her heart. If anything, it could worsen her situation. Please, Ian."

Dad, acknowledgeable, closed his mouth which was ajar. Silently, he bowed his head and ran his hands through his hair. Then, once Doctor Klein asked if there was anything I needed, I shook my head.

"I can offer you a room here if you would like," he settled with finally, "or if it would be preferable, you stay at home. If you choose the latter, we would like it if a nurse could stop with you to make sure you're okay. She'd only be there in the day unless it gets too much."

"I'd like to stop at home," I said feebly. "I'll have the nurse."

Doctor Klein smiled and said, "Okay, let me just get my paperwork then."

In the moments he left, Dad remained silent as he sat next to me. I got my phone out and called Justin to tell him I was going home. He said he'd meet me there.

So by the time Dad and I had filled in the paperwork and he drove us home, Justin was leaning against the front door. He stood up as soon as I exited the car. Stepping towards me, he wrapped his arms around my body and hugged me tightly. He leaned back slightly and I was elevated. We stayed like this for a few minutes as Dad ambled past us into the house.

"How was the meal?" I asked him, trying to be polite and make progress.

He shook his head. "Same old. What really matters is how you are?"

"I'm alright," I said.

"Juliet, I'm not an idiot."

"Come in," I sighed, holding his hand and leading him into the house. "Dad, we're going upstairs."

Dad mumbled something as he stumbled into his office. We made our way upstairs and settled ourselves on my bed. Justin shrugged himself out of his jacket and placed it beside him on the bed. Then he asked again, "How are you?"

"The nurse came round as per," I said, "but she told me I had to go back to the hospital. Then Doctor Klein said that my health was deteriorating, Justin. That from this point on, it'll only get worse and no one can do anything to cease it or prolong it. He said... he said I have a few weeks' left. A month at the most."

Justin's lips fell ajar. He paused fleetingly before saying, "A few weeks? That can't be right. Look at you, you seem perfectly fine to me!"

"I'm sorry, Justin," I said, bowing lowering my eye contact to my lap. I was perched on the edge with my legs over the edge and my feet on the floor. I had no idea why I was the one apologising, but I just thought it seemed like the easier option.

"I only have two things left on my list though." Standing up I walked over to my drawers to get the list out and check over it.

1) Meet Justin's parents (perhaps not his dad if he's not around)
2) Pass my exams
3) Go skinny dipping with Justin
4) Go in a hot air balloon
5) Make Dad happy
6) Make a difference at school rather than being known for my surname
7) Make this relationship with Justin worth it
8) Stay with Justin for the night
9) Lose my virginity
10) Get Justin to make it up to his friends

Both Justin and I had made a difference at this school, collectively. We were both known for something else other than our status and surname. It felt good knowing my name was engraved on the plague and will be there for a long, long time.

"Put the list back!" he demanded loudly.

Dropping my arm, my head snapped up at Justin. His cheeks were somewhat crimson and he was rather angered. Hesitantly, I put the list back in the drawer and sat next to him. He was silent for a few moments before saying, "You're so close to the end of your list. You just need to pass your exams and we both know you have already. You don't need to keep consulting it."

"But I wanted to prove something," I mumbled weekly.

"You wanted to prove something by putting your life down to a crummy piece of paper, Juliet? You said yourself you have a few weeks left, and there's one thing that we both know you won't get to complete." His eyes were glistened over now with tears. "You won't complete it because it's not going to happen. They all hate me. I chose you over them."

After a little bit more of a dispute, everything was sinking in. I felt somewhat disheartened that my list wouldn't be complete. And when I went to bed that evening, I stared up at the ceiling. I once said that Justin was opening my eyes wider.

Now my eyes seemed to be closing again.

------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note:

I apologise for the really short chapter, but she only has a month at most left to live!! Do you guys think she will eventually die? :(((( And Justin and Juliet are arguing :(( And the story is almost over!!! :((((

Thank you :) x