Chapter Fifty-Nine

Juliet

A week on from the first argument between Justin and I, school had started and we seemed as normal as ever. But so did everyone else, which consequentially meant that the insults were incessantly being thrown our way.

"Two losers together," one jock exclaimed, pointing jauntily at us. "But wait, she's a Royal."

"Does he honestly think her hair looks nice like that?"

Justin's arm was already around my shoulders, but as soon as that comment was uttered, he kissed my temple and said, "I love your hair, okay? Don't listen to them."

That's how our day had predominantly been. More of less, it was just being ridiculed and then time for lessons with the occasional insult thrown in as we ambled to our seats, whether we were in the same lesson or not. The only lesson where we didn't seem to be mocked for who we are was Music and that was a given considering anyone got insulted who did Music. Therefore, when we were in class, we were safe against the insults as no one would dare murmur an insulting word to us.

At the end of the day, we loitered around the school gates for Jazmyn to emerge with her friends. As she was ambling through the parking lot, attempting to evade the oncoming cars of rushing teachers who couldn't wait to flee, my phone incessantly vibrated from my bag. Picking it out, it was from my dad who was calling me.

"Dad?" I said, answering the phone immediately. "Is something wrong?"

He chuckled easily. "No, no, nothing's wrong, sport. It's just I have to go out of town again for tonight. I know it's short notice, but is Justin able to stay for the night? I don't want you alone, although, I think Muriel may be planting when you get home. She was there when I went out a few hours ago."

Somewhat startled by the request, I replied back with, "I'll ask him now, Dad." Pulling the phone away from my ear, I looked up to Justin and asked, "Are you free tonight? Dad's going out of town." From the phone, I heard a cough.

Seemingly also startled, he paused fleetingly until he concluded with, "Yeah, I can stay. I just need to get some stuff from home then."

Smiling at Justin, I pulled the phone back to my ear and spoke to Dad. "He's free, Dad."

"Okay. Good. I'll be back tomorrow evening in time for dinner, okay?"

"Yeah, bye, Dad. Have fun."

"I love you, sport."

"I love you, too."

Dad hung up just as Jazmyn approached us. She bid a farewell to her friends and began to amble away. However, Justin and I were still stood still so when she realised this, she turned around quizzically. "Is something wrong? Are we not going home?"

Justin sucked in a breath and composed himself. "Yeah, yeah, I need some stuff."

Clasping his hand with mine, us three strolled along the sidewalk and back to Justin's house. When we got home, Justin's mom was already there and in the kitchen. Jazmyn collapsed on Justin's bed as he strolled into the kitchen. I stayed in his bedroom with Jazmyn as she leaned up.

"Is something going on?"

"He's asking if he can stay the night at mine," I answered. "My dad's out of town and he doesn't want me to stay alone all night. He's never really liked it. I used to have a distant family relative stay with me."

Typically, it was my mom's sister who normally had the punishment of staying the night with me. She had a tendency to stay in the lounge with a glass of wine as I stayed ensnarled upstairs in my room. She was always a few years older than my mom, but she's barely spoken about now. She moved away with her new husband about five years back and although they said they'd keep in contact and still do these favours for one another, it never happened. So my dad had to request to keeping his business meetings within this town, not any others. They accepted due to his predicament.