Epilogue

Five Months Later

Justin Bieber sat down in his college room.

It had been five whole months since he'd attended Juliet Royal's funeral. Ian had spoken a little bit about Juliet and the loss of not only her, but of the other two females he had in his life.

Then it was Justin's time. He spoke about school and the incessant mistreatment Juliet had received. He informed everyone of her bucket list and told them she'd completed it, but she'd never know. Throughout his speech, he could see people crying and trying to hold their tears.

When it was over, Jazmyn walked up to him and sobbed into his chest. He held her for a few minutes as they remained in the church. She said, "I can't believe she's gone. It doesn't seem right. I'm so sorry, Justin."

"So am I, Jaz, but I've got you still. Juliet wouldn't want us both upset, okay?"

But now, five months later, Justin was sat at his desk in college. He attended the Manhattan School of Music. Naturally, he was studying Music and singing, trying to better his talents already he had acquired over the years.

His roommate was out, which left him with the free desk. In front of him were a few pieces of lined-paper and his pen. Almost immediately, he picked up the pen and began writing whatever came to heart. It turns out, Justin had gotten an A* in his English exams and he was finding he liked writing, which helped when it came to song writing.

It doesn't matter where you are. When you're ambling past someone on the sidewalk and their head is down, a million and one thoughts could be racing through their heads. Judgmental thoughts, at that. Or they could be hurting. They could be concealing their expression from others because something is affecting them and it's now their current limitation.
You could walk past someone on the sidewalk, and they could be going through the exact same thing as you are, and you wouldn't even know because they're a complete stranger to you - not even a mere acquaintance, either. Secrets are resided beneath people's skins and inside their minds which could destroy them later on in the future. Words can play tricks on you, and they can taunt you for the rest of your life if you're not careful.
That's what I'm thinking right now. Someone else in this Math class with me could have gone through the same thing as I did with Juliet but I wouldn't know because I'm not friends with them.
Regardless, we're told not to judge, aren't we? But everyone in this school judged Juliet - what if their words caused her heart condition to worsen? It's a silly conjecture, but it's something that could be stuck inside someone's head and it could destroy them mentally.
We should never judge others. You could end up being friends with them later on in life, or even dating them... perhaps you'd even marry them and start a family with them. But how would you know if you're too busy judging them? I judged Juliet at the beginning of the year and predominantly the other years of high school because I thought she was just another strange, quiet geek who had minimal friends and wasn't cool.
In reality?
She was the best girl that I could have ever dated.
Fear not, because you're always going to have that place in my heart because you were the first to steal it from me and take care of it. I trusted you with it. If I could have traded hearts with you so you would have lived, then I would have done. But for now, you've given my heart back to me, and the ache is lingering. And that ache is going to be there for as long as I'll love you.
But I'll always remember you. You want to know why? I'm studying Music at Manhattan School of Music in New York, which you were going to go to. I know I said college required money and that was something I didn't have, but there was a miracle.
"Go to Manhattan School of Music, Justin," your dad said. "Let me pay for it." I protested, of course, but he continued with, "I lost two daughters to a wretched heart condition. I never let them have the dream of college. I don't want to break your dream of college, either, Justin. I'm not going to condemn you to living here and studying at some mediocre music program at the local college because you don't have enough money. You're as good as a son to me now, and I'd like us to stay in contact, too. I don't want to lose a third child, even if he isn't mine."
And all that summer, we stayed in contact. For the unforeseeable future, I know our ordained contact will never cease. Even when I went to visit the college in the summer for a little induction week, I wrote to him. It was a three page letter because I told him everything we did that week, and you know what?
I've never had a father figure before in my life until your dad came along (even Dawson wasn't one for affection). He's even going to visit me at holidays, too when he can, and I can go back home and visit him. He says I'm welcome to stay in the house if I ever need to because Mom's clearing out my room and turning it into a study for Dawson. Mind, I have all my stuff here and a few bits and bobs back at your Dad's. Mom and Dawson are getting on well, too. I think this could be something special. They're even looking into moving next year for a bigger place.
Whilst I was there at the induction week, we all spoke about why we chose this college. Everyone's response was that this seemed the best choice, but not mine. "My girlfriend got accepted here. Her name was Juliet Royal, but she died of a heart condition just before she got her exam results. She never got to experience her dream, so I'm living not only hers, but also mine now." Everyone was in a stunned silence for a good ten seconds before they all clapped.
I'm following your dream, and I'm doing it for you, but slowly it's turned into my dream too. I'm going to show you how easily you could have achieved this, and if I actually get somewhere with music and end up famous, I'll always thank you. You're my inspiration, motivation and dedication to music. If I'm standing at a podium and I'm thanking everyone for an award I've just received and won, my gratitude won't always be out loud because you'll always feel it in my heart.
Please note, I don't hate you for leaving me, Juliet. I just hate how we didn't get longer together, and instead I have to move on.
It's times and situations like these when you realise, not every story has a happy ending. Juliet, for you, your story didn't end happily. Or did it? Were you happy when you departed? Or were you annoyed that life was cut so short for you and you didn't get to experience the beauty of other things?
My story is still ongoing. You weren't my entire story, but you were a vast portion of it. And now it's time to find out if I have a happy ending. I'd like to think you had a happy ending, Juliet.
There's also another charity day back at West Chance High. Mr. Beckley contacted me and has arranged a date so that I can be back at school in time for it to happen. He's quite excited, actually. And he wants to know how I'm getting on.
And before I forget, I even completed number ten on the bucket list. I made it up to my friends. Or rather, they made it up to me. There was just one number left on the paper which was your exams. But you want to know something? Mr. Beckley told me you'd passed all your exams, and with near-to full marks in Music and Physics. You did it, Juliet. You did pass your exams, no matter how stressed or ill you were. And your bucket list is complete.
I just wish you were here to have witnessed the completion.
- Justin

Justin folded the letter up, and slipped it into the shoebox Juliet had left for him. He put it right at the top of the pile of other notes he had written to her. Then he closed the lid and slipped the box back under his bed. He perched on the edge just as the door opened.

His roommate, Derek, entered the room. He didn't do Music, but he was studying Biology, although he had an exquisite history with sports. He was no Ryan or Chaz, but he was a great friend and had welcomed Justin into his own group of friends. "We're all about to go outside and play some basketball – you want to join?"

Derek had spotted the shoebox a few times and had asked what was inside, but Justin hadn't gone into details – especially about the condom wrapper. Derek knew Justin's girlfriend had passed only months beforehand, and he consistently made sure Justin was moving on and enjoying himself rather than staying stuck in the past with memories – but this may have been down to the fact that girls even swooned over Justin here as well as they had done back in West Chance High. The shoebox under his bed was forgotten.

"Yeah," concurred Justin softly, standing up. "Yeah, I'm in."

THE END

------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note:

AND THAT IS A WRAP!!

I know it's a sad ending for Justin and Juliet, but he's picking himself up so it's a slightly happy ending for him. Did you guys like this story? I wanted to experiment with a sad ending and I wanted to make you guys cry (that was my intention lol) so I hope I achieved that. Regardless, thank you for your consistent support on this story. I'm so grateful for everything.

Thank you :) x