Chapter Thirteen

Juliet

At the end of The Kissing Booth there was another note.

I would like you to read The Last Song next, please. I know it is a summer romance, and it is October now – I presume you're reading this in October, anyway before the Halloween fair – but Jazmyn also gave this one quite a good review.
It will open your eyes to first loves considering you've never been in love before. If someone was truly sorry, they'd make it noticeable and they'd prove it to you. If they weren't sorry, they'd simply say it and move on. They wouldn't ever make an effort to make sure that would never happen again. And sometimes, if it hurts so much, your trust might just break. If it's unfixable, you should never go back to that person. If it can be renovated, then you should let them try.
Don't ever give someone a second chance if they don't deserve it. You have to promise me that.
- Justin

I'd never been in love, but that didn't mean I hadn't thought about it.

We create this false representation of love. We produce those people inside our heads whom would be our dream soul mate, but it never ends up that way. Instead, we're left ending up wondering how everything changed when really, did it start any differently? It can blossom at any time and with anyone, and all we can do is listen to what our hearts want. We can't stop it, and nor can we make our feelings stronger. Instead, we just have to go with the flow, and sometimes, it isn't always easy, nor is it right. If it's hard and it weakens you at one point, it's right. You'll come out stronger in the end - even if you really don't want to because you want to follow your heart.

But trust was something else entirely. Trust could be fractured in a matter of moments. Sometimes it's just words that could cause such destruction. And from there, who could rebuild such beauty that would require such intricate detail and work? That person would have to be your soul mate. They'd have to make you see that your trust in them will never be desecrated. They'd have to be something undoubtedly special.

I dropped the note on top of the book I had just previously read before. Crossing over to the desk where the box of the other books was, I rummaged through to locate The Last Song. It got me wondering if this book was solely based on trust and first loves. It made me feel a little queasy considering the only trust I had was for my dad and my two best friends. Muriel was categorically not someone who you could trust. She might be devoid of friends, but you still couldn't trust who she would blab things to.

The Kissing Booth was put at the side of my desk, displayed proudly. Ambling softly back to my bed, I sat on it, leaning back against the headboard and inspecting the cover. I knew the celebrities on the front: Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth. They were quite the couple according to the news.

I opened the book to the prologue and predict, a note descended down into the gap between my crossed legs. I picked it up and read through it. This was only a short and concise note unlike the preceding few.

If it's any consolation, I'll attempt to never spill my drink on you.
- Justin

Perplexed by his anomalous – would it be deemed a promise? – promise, I commenced to read the book at once. It was only when the main protagonists met did I realise what he truly meant by his outlandish declaration. Then Justin, I guess I'm going to have to hold you to that, I mused.

My stomach churned just thinking about Justin. He could be so much more and such a wonder, but why have myself stand in his way? He's got such an education lined up for him when he leaves for college; his talents range from sports to his academic learning. He could go into any region of any occupation, and he'd still be drowning with his expertise and data whirling around in his head.