Chapter Thirty-One

Justin

Admittedly, it was quite the challenge to think of something to buy Juliet for her birthday considering Christmas Day was only three days ago.

But like the athlete I am – with no valid proof considering I had to depart from all of my extra-curriculum sports due to my mom (who is still dating Dawson – even if it is an exceptionally rocky and perilous relationship) – I was still going to rise to the mission.

So days later after hours of endeavouring to locate a perfect present for her, this is how it lead to this: I was sat outside Juliet's vacant house, watching the old woman on her hand and knees, planting daffodils in the corner by the conifers. I was only able to distinguish them by her mutterings of, "Daffodils... husband would have loved them... summer... spring..." And the continuation of the murmurs was ceaseless.

It was December and it was utterly freezing. Some intoxicated part of me (despite being highly sober and not at all high) thought it might be warm leaning against the front door because of the heat ensnarled in the room seeping through the gaps and warming me up.

My hypothesis: the longer I wait outside in the cold, the more delirious I would become.

It was well past lunch time now. My stomach was incessantly rumbling obnoxiously and all I could think about was the kitchen stacked with food inside the house. As if on cue, there was another rumble.

The haphazardly wrapped presents were to the side of me, too being infected by the coldness. My only wish was that it wouldn't commence snowing. That's something I didn't need. I'd have no way to go as refuge or a safe haven. I was starting to feel like Juliet's house was becoming my own safe haven. Categorically it was not my own home.

I was adamantly staying put. It wasn't until when it was nearing two in the afternoon did Juliet and her dad in their car drive slowly to pull in front of the house. Juliet rushed out of the car before it had even stopped. Her dad bellowed at her to stay stationary to avoid colliding the car with her. She ignored him as he stopped the car and she ran to me with a smile on her face.

"Happy birthday!" I cheered, seizing the present, standing up and engulfing her into a tight embrace.

Ian slowly got out of the car and slammed the door shut. Juliet virtually jumped into my arms as her feet came off the floor. Even with her presents in my hands, I wrapped my arms around her waist and leaned back so she was elevated off the floor. She giggled loudly in prior to setting her down again on the floor. By now Ian was beside us with the house keys in his hands watching us avidly.

"I didn't know you were going out so I decided to wait until you got back. The woman planting kept me company... somewhat, anyway," I joked.

Ian turned back. "Ah, that's Muriel. We let her garden if it makes her happy. It was really Juliet's idea to keep her gardening. We came back one day and there she was just gardening away in our garden. I was bemused to say the least. Are you coming in, Justin?"

"Yes, please," I said. "If that's alright."

"Of course," interjected Juliet.

"How long have you been waiting, Justin?" Ian asked.

"A few hours," I replied candidly. "But it's fine."

Ian let us all in and Juliet and I traipsed up to her room. Ian called out that he'd make us lunch as to reimburse me for the time I've spent sat against the door in the freezing cold December weather. My response was merely a chuckle as we were strolling up the stairs. When we got to her room, we sat on her bed and then it dawned on me.